Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to find boats

Sorry for a newbie question from a newbie...

I'm looking for a boat to buy (Contessa 26) but I'm not sure where to find one. There are a couple around on YBW and Apollo Duck, where else should I be looking?

Thanks in Advance.

The North West, either England, Wales or France

Default Re: Where to find boats

Thanks Quiddle, that one is sold but I'll keep an eye out on that site.

Jeremy Rogers occasionally has boats for sale:

https://www.jeremyrogers.co.uk/brokerage/tai-fun.php

Otherwise you have to keep an eye on the big compilation sites and sort out, and check, your own list of smaller yards where one may come up, overlooked by the wide world.
    E Bay as well - the last throw of the dice for some but there are gems among the gargoyles.

Worth checking out this sort of thread:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...at+derivatives

For, unless you are really, really sure you want a Contessa 26, there are some great alternatives out there. The wider you cast your net the more likely you are to find something good.

When I was looking for a boat I very quickly realised that I'm limited to the immediate vicinity. The internet was useful to find out the value and typical condition of a boat, but realistically I could only buy what was available locally.

For the budget I had, anyway. The cost of transporting it from any great distance was not really an option.

A Contessa is pretty sought after boat, there are other derivatives that nay be suitable. It also worth looking at eBay, Gumtree and local boatyards. You might find something at www.contessa26.net if you haven't looked already. Always worth asking everyone. Everybody's boat is for sale at the right price!

Good hunting
    Last edited by ronsurf; 05-11-18 at 16:07. Reason: wrong link

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on where to look. I'll keep an eye on them all.

As to wanting the Contessa, I have looked at all the other Folkboat derivatives I can find. But the Contessa seems to have an unmatched record for deep water sailing and ultimately that's what I want it for. Also they are the most beautiful, and if buying a boat isn't a heart-over-head moment, what is?

If finding a Contessa 26 is difficult, ave a look at the Invicta 26, very similar to the Contessa, designed by Van de Stadt and built by Tylers, performance and quality very much the same.

I saw a B/K Seawolf 26 for sale a couple of days ago on the Seawolf and Cobra pages also on ebay. May be worth a look.

The OP has probably seen this, a project:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970s-CON...6yGa:rk:1:pf:0

Not that I am recommending it, rough items do fetch more than working stuff, at times
    Last edited by doug748; 16-11-18 at 21:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast