Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bristish sailors rescued from cat in Thailand after catching fire

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...0ft-catamaran/

Looks like a lucky escape for them ...scary

Default Re: Bristish sailors rescued from cat in Thailand after catching fire

Quote Originally Posted by Bathdave View Post
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...0ft-catamaran/

Looks like a lucky escape for them ...scary
    A collection of Architects, Lawyers and Accountants....................................
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    A collection of Architects, Lawyers and Accountants....................................
    ....... which is clearly relevant.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    I would anticipate that those professions are significantly higher represented amongst the population of boat owners and sailors than they are of the general population

This story is in The Times as well. Following the online version is this comment - which seems ridiculous.
    Screenshot_20181105-103353_The Times.jpg
    They were on a charter boat, so how would they know if it had "bonding" or not? Why would going closer to shore help?

TudorSailor

Why would bonding help? That would just insure all the electrics blew and increase the risk of sinking as the through-hull skin fittings melt! You'd also need to entirely encase the boat in steel to create a Faraday cage. Stupid comment.

I have often wondered what one can do to reduce the chance of a lightning strike. My (American) yacht has a network of heavy duty wires connecting various bits to the keelbolts. Would this be anti-lightning or just electrolysis?

That's usually just bonding to help prevent galvanic corrosion (provided the sacrificial anodes are also connected to the bonding network that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    I have often wondered what one can do to reduce the chance of a lightning strike. My (American) yacht has a network of heavy duty wires connecting various bits to the keelbolts. Would this be anti-lightning or just electrolysis?
    Nothing you fit can reduce the chance of a lightning strike, any precautions are merely to reduce it's effect.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    There's the old American joke "What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead lawyer in the road?
    There are skid marks in front of the dog."
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast