Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bristish sailors rescued from cat in Thailand after catching fire

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Nothing you fit can reduce the chance of a lightning strike, any precautions are merely to reduce it's effect.
    You can stay away from storm cells - which I fully accept is often a lot easier said than done, especially when in an area that can breed CuNim's very quickly indeed and when on a boat with 8 knot at flank speed on a good day...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Nothing you fit can reduce the chance of a lightning strike, any precautions are merely to reduce it's effect.
    Not true.

Lightening conductors are misnamed; if they end up conducting lightening they’ve failed.
    https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...htning-strikes
    Lots of other references if you look.

A good low resistance electrical path from mast to sea DOES provide some protection by dissipating the pre-strike leaders etc.
    Semper aliud

Without wishing to detract from the serious nature of this thread, I am charmed by its title. Were the sailors on fire or was the moggy?

The interesting thing is that they were rescued by local fisherman - and that's the only mention their saviours get!

Makes one think! Being hit by lightning is a rare but not impossible event. When a storm approaches I usually put my portable electrics in the oven and sit it out. I never really thought that the yacht might catch fire and be lost. Maybe next time I will sit with a fire extinguisher by my side.
    Since my yacht was once coded, I do have one extinguisher in each cabin, two in the saloon, one in a deck locker and one in the engine room. Hopefully I might extinguish a fire before it gets out of control. Is there an RYA fire fighting course........?
    Must have been pretty frightening for the charterers in an unfamiliar yacht.

TudorSailor

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    Is there an RYA fire fighting course........?
    TudorSailor
    The course is an STCW one: https://stcw-training-uk.com/main-menu/fire-fighting
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Not true.

Lightening conductors are misnamed; if they end up conducting lightening they’ve failed.
    https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...htning-strikes
    Lots of other references if you look.

A good low resistance electrical path from mast to sea DOES provide some protection by dissipating the pre-strike leaders etc.
    Thank you kind Sir thank you

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Thanks, but a 2 day course is a bit more than I need. A one day course with the chance to use an extinguisher would be valuable

TS

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    Thanks, but a 2 day course is a bit more than I need. A one day course with the chance to use an extinguisher would be valuable

TS
    There is an MCA Boat Master Fire Awareness Course

We saw a boat catch fire in Bonaire, first smoke then flames through the hatches, eventually the mast fell down and it burnt down to the waterline. The hull was later towed to a reef and sunk as a dive attraction.There was a dog on deck and it was rescued, the American couple lost all their belongings and passports so there was a whip-round to get them back up and running. We also saw a boat catch fire in Antigua Sailing Week which was an electrical fire.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast