Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Bristish sailors rescued from cat in Thailand after catching fire

A wet hull is nearly as good as steel for a lightning bolt, and a faraday cage impractical. Lightning conductors dissipate the electric potential which means conducting it to earth before it goes forms a bolt. Having a lightning conductor post higher than the mast not realistic.

Sticking vital electronics in oven or at least disconnecting them will help but how long do you want to be without nav and radio when you are facing a storm? Disconnecting aerial might be best but my mother was once knocked unconscious as a child by getting to my granddads old longwave aerial just as it was struck and was lucky to survive unburned, so if disconnecting do it early.
    A boat is for going places

Default Re: Bristish sailors rescued from cat in Thailand after catching fire

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    Thanks, but a 2 day course is a bit more than I need. A one day course with the chance to use an extinguisher would be valuable

TS
    I wonder if this 1/2 day course for 65 would teach what I want to know and give me a chance to use a fire extinguisher http://www.firstaidtraining.co.uk/co...ession-12-day/ I will investigate

TudorSailor

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234