Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Flag etiquette for Remembrance Sunday

My club is hosting a cruiser race on Sunday and the plan is for all competitors to anchor off the quay based town memorial during the service before racing.
    Is there a correct flag etiqette?
    I'm thinking, ensign at half mast and club burgee half hoist from starboard spreader.

Default Re: Flag etiquette for Remembrance Sunday

Both at full mast.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoNavigator View Post
    Both at full mast.
    That is correct. It is a "remembrance", not a funeral.

At the Merchant Navy Memorial, Tower Hill, the Red Ensign is lowered to half mast at the first note of Last Post and Colours are lowered to the ground; at the first note of Reveille, Ensign and Colours are raised. The Two Minutes Silence is between the two calls. If you are having bugle calls, you could follow suit but if no calls, then Ensigns to remain at full staff.
    Last edited by PeterBoater; 05-11-18 at 19:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    My club is hosting a cruiser race on Sunday and the plan is for all competitors to anchor off the quay based town memorial during the service before racing.
    Is there a correct flag etiqette?
    I'm thinking, ensign at half mast and club burgee half hoist from starboard spreader.
    Both should have a black border added. Widows dressed in black should wail audibly throughout the service while a mute in a top hat beats a drum at two second intervals.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

German Imperialist hanging by the neck from the from the starboard spreader. You need to find one with one of those pointy helmets or it doesn't count.

Chorus of Plucky Little Belgians*.

* Don't mention the red diesel. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it alright.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    ensign at half mast and club burgee half hoist
    Is a burgee ever dipped - for any reason? Not come across that before.

However one does - distressingly often - see flags at half hoist when they are supposed to be at half mast, a truly ghastly sight.

Here's the correct way;

Half-mast means the flag is flown two-thirds of the way up the flagpole, with at least the height of the flag between the top of the flag and the top of the flagpole. Flags cannot be flown at half-mast on poles that are more than 45 from the vertical, but a mourning cravat can be used instead.
    When a flag is to be flown at half-mast, it should first be raised all the way to the top of the mast, allowed to remain there for a second and then be lowered to the half-mast position. When it is being lowered from half-mast, it should again be raised to the top of the mast for a second before being fully lowered.

Clearly often not possible to achieve on a short yacht's staff of course.
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 06-11-18 at 15:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Flags cannot be flown at half-mast on poles that are more than 45 from the vertical, but a mourning cravat can be used instead.
    I had to Google that. For those who share my (former) ignorance, it's one of these

Flag etiquette is delightfully silly.

All very fascinating, but it the whole thread seems to arise from a (seemingly increasingly common) impression that Remembrance Day is an occasion of mourning, it is not, or at least it wasn't so intended. There is a difference between remembrance and mourning.

Sadly in recent years it seems to have also become a festival of virtue signalling and obsession with wearing poppies as much and as prominently as possible (yes I am speaking about you, TV 'personalities').
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 07-11-18 at 07:46. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast