Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Flag etiquette for Remembrance Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I had to Google that. For those who share my (former) ignorance, it's one of these

Flag etiquette is delightfully silly.
    Lots to keep you amused here , including the bit about the mourning cravat.

http://www.flaginstitute.org/pdfs/Fl...ed_Kingdom.pdf

Regarding the query about lowering of burgees, my experience over 60 years of sailing is that the burgee is NOT a flag for signalling purposes but purely a burgee primarily for checking wind / boat performance. The only time it is "lowered" to a point below top is when racing, to indicate to the O.O.D. that you are protesting against a fault action by a competitor. This gives you the right to continue racing then call your protest when you come ashore. Alternatively you can tie a white cloth or rag to the starboard shroud of your boat. A burgee is not lowered as a mark of respect as discussed in this forum. Elhanan skipper

Both should have a black border added. Widows dressed in black should wail audibly throughout the service while a mute in a top hat beats a drum at two second intervals.
    Brilliant!
    Ennui: Can I be bothered?

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    All very fascinating, but it the whole thread seems to arise from a (seemingly increasingly common) impression that Remembrance Day is an occasion of mourning, it is not, or at least it wasn't so intended. There is a difference between remembrance and mourning.

Sadly in recent years it seems to have also become a festival of virtue signalling and obsession with wearing poppys as much and as prominently as possible (yes a am speaking about you, TV 'personalities').
    Amen to that.

Flag etiquette is delightfully silly.
    Jumble, I disagree with silly.
    I too was unaware of the notion of a mourning cravat until this afternoon but it makes perfect sense.
    Flag etiquette is surely no more than showing politeness, respect, honour and gratitude to your country.
    Isn't that enough, given all that our national flag represents - and the country that has nurtured us?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Flag etiquette is surely no more than showing politeness, respect, honour and gratitude to your country.
    Not really. I can't see how deciding where (or whether) to fly a burgee, based on the "seniority" of the yacht club it represents, has anything to do with showing politeness, respect, honour and gratitude to your country. It's all a game, basically, invented by yacht club members in the 1920s and 30s to help them distinguish people like them from oiks in boats.

If people want to play that game, fine, but it's not intrinsically worth any more respect than any other game, and the rest of us need feel no guilt about choosing not to play.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

.... invented by yacht club members in the 1920s and 30s to help them distinguish people like them from oiks in boats.

... the rest of us need feel no guilt about choosing not to play.
    So it works then?

Cancel the race . Or grow a pair and find somewhere more challenging to race than the town creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    So it works then?
    If yer says so, guv'nor. A toff like you wouldn't be mistaken.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

It's all a game, basically, invented by yacht club members in the 1920s and 30s to help them distinguish people like them from oiks in boats.
    Not really. Some of the better clubs (mine included) were "playing the game"long before the 1920s and 30s. Still great fun for those who want to play.

PS Some of our members started out as oiks but worked out how to improve themselves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast