Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Flag etiquette for Remembrance Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    PS Some of our members started out as oiks but worked out how to improve themselves.
    Oh, I know how to improve myself. I just don't want to.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Not really. I can't see how deciding where (or whether) to fly a burgee, based on the "seniority" of the yacht club it represents,has anything to do with showing politeness, respect, honour and gratitude to your country. It's all a game, basically, invented by yacht club members in the 1920s and 30s to help them distinguish people like them from oiks in boats.
    Nothing to do with "oiks" unless you are the sort of bigot that uses such nasty terms. Neither is it anything to do with seniority is it? At least. I didn't mention that.
    Do you despise manners amd gratitude too? I imagine so...
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 08-11-18 at 00:10.

Old Bumbulum, I'm loving the cut of your jib. It's only been in historical novels that I've come across men who don't bat an eye at losing all their belongings in a fire but can get worked up about flag etiquette. I'm really hoping you are planning to demand satisfaction from Jumble Duck - an authentic cad if ever I've seen one.

You, Sir, are a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Poey50 View Post
    I'm really hoping you are planning to demand satisfaction from Jumble Duck - an authentic cad if ever I've seen one.

You, Sir, are a character.
    I wouldn't waste my breath on such a futile effort but thanks for the compliment! One can only hope that Darwinian selection will eventually rid us of pests like that.
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 08-11-18 at 00:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Do you despise manners amd gratitude too? I imagine so...
    Actually, I'm all in favour of manners, which is basically the art of making other people feel happy and at ease. Etiquette is completely the opposite, since it is invariably a set of rules designed to make some people - the out group - feel uncomfortable and ill at ease, and keep them in their place.

People with manners don't care when other people don't follow etiquette, of flag or any other kind.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Actually, I'm all in favour of manners, which is basically the art of making other people feel happy and at ease. Etiquette is completely the opposite, since it is invariably a set of rules designed to make some people - the out group - feel uncomfortable and ill at ease, and keep them in their place.

People with manners don't care when other people don't follow etiquette, of flag or any other kind.
    Whilst you undoubtedly have a point, there is also an argument that having a set of formalised (and promulgated) rules of etiquette allows an 'outsider' to read those rules and 'fit in', rather than having imbued them from birth and upbringing. Hence why they are/were so popular with the expanding middle classes (and Americans) particularly from the middle of the C19.

And yes, manners and etiquette are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Whilst you undoubtedly have a point, there is also an argument that having a set of formalised (and promulgated) rules of etiquette allows an 'outsider' to read those rules and 'fit in', rather than having imbued them from birth and upbringing. Hence why they are/were so popular with the expanding middle classes (and Americans) particularly from the middle of the C19.
    That's an interesting point. Thanks.

I basically go along with this post, an excellent précis of the points discussed in earlier posts. Society, however, is in a state of constant change. To amend Lord Fisher’s famous quotation, “the etiquette of the past may not need to be the practice of the future”.

Thank you, that pretty well sums up my thinking.
    Being "correct" is less important than appearing to be respectful and that was the purpose of my original enquiry.
    I should have known better than to ask I suppose.

Common sense approach always works well, dip your ensign and or your burgee if you so wish or not, your choice.
    The opinion of anyone who takes exception either way, that you should do it, you shouldn't do or that you are not doing it correctly is not worth worrying about

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123