Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Crewing the ARC - what to pack (and not to take)?

Hoping to do the ARC later this month - but as crew on another boat. Hence everything taken will need to be prioritised to fit into a flight hold bag.

Not sailed these waters, so what is the experience of those that have been there before? What key things to take - and equally importantly what not to take?

Clearly hoping for quite a bit of fair weather sailing - so (quick dry) shorts and short sleeve shirts, plus sun hat obvious essentials.
    Good life jackets are on the boat (I will add my own PLB etc). Kindle and USB chargers on the list already.

But in an ocean crossing the weather wont necessarily always be favourable.
    - Are oilskins needed in case of an upwind bash for a period?
    - Dubarry boots would be very heavy, can these be safely left behind?
    Is a thin sleeping bag necessary for colder nights, or a waste of weight and space?

What other packing tips from the experts?

Default Re: Crewing the ARC - what to pack (and not to take)?

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Hoping to do the ARC later this month - but as crew on another boat. Hence everything taken will need to be prioritised to fit into a flight hold bag.

Not sailed these waters, so what is the experience of those that have been there before? What key things to take - and equally importantly what not to take?

Clearly hoping for quite a bit of fair weather sailing - so (quick dry) shorts and short sleeve shirts, plus sun hat obvious essentials.
    Good life jackets are on the boat (I will add my own PLB etc). Kindle and USB chargers on the list already.

But in an ocean crossing the weather wont necessarily always be favourable.
    - Are oilskins needed in case of an upwind bash for a period?
    - Dubarry boots would be very heavy, can these be safely left behind?
    Is a thin sleeping bag necessary for colder nights, or a waste of weight and space?

What other packing tips from the experts?
    Suntan lotion, headgear & shades.

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    Hangover cure...

Enjoy the parties.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Did it as crew last year (from Cape Verde’s) and brought way too much. It was 25-30+ degrees the whole way across, downwind all the time, and when it rained in squalls it was far too hot for foulies (light packamac was about right).

Nights were cooler but not cold.

We spent the whole time in flip flops or sandals or bare feet.

It's a long time since I did it but I just took lightweight clothing including a showerproof jacket and trousers. I never wore the showerproof trousers because the only time I got seriously wet was in the sudden squalls that occasionally hit us and you would be soaked before getting them on so I just took most of my clothes off and put them under the sprayhood to keep dry and then put them on again when the squall passed. I had no boots and was barefoot most of the time anyway.

I also took a lifejacket, sleeping bag, books (there were no Kindles or tablets then), usual toiletries, a camera, a couple of bags of sweets and two tubes of anchovy paste.

The boat's owners had provisioned very well (except for anchovy paste!) so we wanted for nothing.

One thing I didn't have, and could have done with, was a contoured sleep mask. I'd strongly recommend getting one.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    Passport, credit card.

Job done.

Not quite sailing gear but maybe get a revolut card before you go?
    https://www.revolut.com

Only a fiver then if a cash machine eats it it's not the end of the world, plus only transfer the cash you want to spend onto the card.

Also, a laminated photocopy or 2 of the main passport page is handy so you have some ID to carry around without having your actual passport.
    Last edited by GHA; 05-11-18 at 19:35.

Thin thermals. The first few nights can be a bit chilly. Oilskins are a must, squalls have very cold rain. You can get away without boots.

Turn up on watch 5 minutes early and you'll be the most popular guy on board.

Best thing I took was oilskin shorts (they were musto br1)

That combined with sailing sandals (keen or similar) and oilskin jacket was perfect for squalls

Don't underestimate the number of books you will read (albeit on a kindle). Some secret favourite food item for when you get cravings mid way across. I became addicted to barley sugars and butterscotch sweets on the long night watches. Not even sure you can get them now!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast