Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Crewing the ARC - what to pack (and not to take)?

Long sleeve UV shirt for when the sun is fiercest!

Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    Don't underestimate the number of books you will read (albeit on a kindle). Some secret favourite food item for when you get cravings mid way across. I became addicted to barley sugars and butterscotch sweets on the long night watches. Not even sure you can get them now!
    +1 to all that.
    And a tip: don't spend a watch on the second night sitting on the Kindle. They don't like it.
    All epigrams are false

A video camera with good image stabilisation. This could be the trip of a life time and you will regret it later if you don't get good video.

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    +1 to all that.
    And a tip: don't spend a watch on the second night sitting on the Kindle. They don't like it.
    Having met the OP on his own boat I don't think there is much risk of that, I will bet he is a tweaker.

I *think* this is the updated version of my title pocket collins gem book of the night sky which was probably the single most valuable accessory I had on my first ocean passage:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stars-Colli.../dp/0007178581
    a dim torch to read it by would be handy...

Here is a blog based on feedback from our yacht delivery skippers and crew as to what they enjoy most of all for entertainment on a long passage:

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/crew-en...-long-passage/

Pete
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

Chocolate, sleeping bag liner (you won’t need the bag after the first few days), star recognition book/app, lightweight oilies, ear plugs, camera, suntan lotion.

Hi Took oilies but only ever used the jacket on a few cold nights otherwise shorts & tees with a fleece for night. Head torch well worth it. Has others stated books and music -music loaded onto phone not streamed as youngers one found when they had no connection and had to listen to my selection - especially dancing to Proclaimers @ 2 in the morning when there were 500 miles to go
    Washing powder /liquid for clothes
    Enjoy your trip

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Rag View Post
    Do not underestimate how much free time you will have. There is very little sailing (apart from helming if you feel like it but pilot will do most of that as well) to do .........
    Thatís not a given - we helmed 23 hours out of every 24 last year, only using the auto helm when the crew all dined together at sunset. The idea was that it kept those on watch alert, and the temptation to lay back on the deck, watch the stars in the night sky and slowly drift off would have been very strong if the boat was looking after itself. We didnít see anything by way of shipping after turning right when the butter melted, until St Lucia appeared on the horizon, so keeping watch wasnít as demanding as in the Channel.

Switching your smartphone/IPad to airplane mode saves battery, and I found the SkyView app a handy way of identifying stars and satellites.

Watch out for the skipper telling you that east-west is the milk run, and that to really wear the red trousers you have to do west-east, which is more ďfunĒ. Iíve got my flight booked to Antigua for next May to found out how much more fun it really is.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaret View Post

Watch out for the skipper telling you that east-west is the milk run, and that to really wear the red trousers you have to do west-east, which is more “fun”. I’ve got my flight booked to Antigua for next May to found out how much more fun it really is.
    They are mostly not joking! Wouldnt call chasing the sun a milk run exactly, Ive had some sporting moments on various crossings. But coming back puts hairs on yer chest. Normally allow for 2 gales.....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast