Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Crewing the ARC - what to pack (and not to take)?

Some Jimmy Buffet albums and headphones.

The North West, either England, Wales or France

You don't need sleeping bag, oillies or boots. Take thermal top and legs for the chilly nights...I didn't need them last time. A Buff is handy as a neck warmer, hat and eyemask in one. A few hundred Gb of audio books, iplayer radio etc. helps while away the time. Only extra I'm taking this year (NARC) is a decent hand line, wire traces and lures for fishing. Couldn't believe the zero fish count in 2016.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 06-11-18 at 16:53.

Mmmm, most advice seems good from what Ive seen. Waterproof top, suncream all make life more comfortable, plus a shedload of books (loaded kindle).

When you get to St Lucia you will get eaten alive by mossies so take spray DEET for your first run ashore, everyone else will be in the itchy queue to buy it next day and you can gloat.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    ...take spray DEET for your first run ashore...
    That's a good one, we've never found anything anywhere that works quite so well as the 'Jungle Formula' sprays from Boot's.

Take a spare sun hat & sunglasses, choice is fairly limited in the mid-Atlantic shopping mall and its prices outrageous; other than the sail-through McDonald's restaurant of course, but I think that's subsidised like the ones in central London, Rome & New York
    If you've got it right, then all your needs will comfortably fit into a airline carry-on/cabin bag, but be sure to take it in a soft one, not one of the solid wheely jobs.
    I chose the road less travelled, now where the hell am I?

Hand line with wire trace and squid lures. A head torch with a red light option is handy. A small teach yourself sun sights book with tables, I assume every boat will have its own sextant? I've had full ocean oilies on at times.

I would agree with all the suggestions about entertainment. Clothing/gear is fairly easy as shorts and tee shirt will do 99% of the time. Do not underestimate how much free time you will have. There is very little sailing (apart from helming if you feel like it but pilot will do most of that as well) to do and so a kindle with plenty of books and an extensive source of music are, in my opinion, invaluable.

I always suggest to people to leave a few boat jobs to do during the crossing as well to help pass the time.

Take wet weather gear we had little wind to start with a steel boat it was a pain, we hoped to get squalls and did for 15 days.

Personal stereo with headphones. Kindle DON'T FORGET THE CHARGERS!

Handline with spare lures pink squids worked for me.

If the boat does not have a sextant a trawl on Ebay should find an Ebco sextant for little money and you can print off the relevant pages for the crossing from here. https://www.thenauticalalmanac.com/ not essential but very satisfying when you get a cocked hat that matches the GPS position.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

earplugs can save your life; save other people lives by offering them to anyone in case the snorer is you :d
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

It's also worth considering how well you are going to get on with your fellow crewmen (and/or women) and whether you have confidence in them. If you don't know them it's worth arranging a short cruise beforehand if possible.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast