Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Doublehanded offshore keelboats in the Olympics

Even a little squirt like me can sail a Laser, and a really able squirt can win a race in one...although I'd do better with the Radial rig.

The inclusion by the Olympics hitherto of the Finn as a heavyweight singlehander category, recognised the desperate unfairness of offering only one size of dinghy to suit all men, from squirts to giants. Should fellows of excellent fitness weighing well over 100 kilos henceforth be forced out of Olympic singlehanded dinghy racing, because on balance they'll rarely beat equally able lighter helms?

The fact that the Laser Radial is regarded as better suited to the average female physique than the standard Laser, recognises that ballast matters...so why is a generally lighter gender catered for with a different rig, if the diversity of weights of male helms, is not?

And what is the logic in the intention "To change the Mixed One Person Dinghy Event to Mixed Two Person Keelboat Offshore"? It makes no sense at all to replace chalk with cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Even a little squirt like me can sail a Laser, and a really able squirt can win a race in one...although I'd do better with the Radial rig.

The inclusion by the Olympics hitherto of the Finn as a heavyweight singlehander category, recognised the desperate unfairness of offering only one size of dinghy to suit all men, from squirts to giants. Should fellows of excellent fitness weighing well over 100 kilos henceforth be forced out of Olympic singlehanded dinghy racing, because on balance they'll rarely beat equally able lighter helms?

The fact that the Laser Radial is regarded as better suited to the average female physique than the standard Laser, recognises that ballast matters...so why is a generally lighter gender catered for with a different rig, if the diversity of weights of male helms, is not?

And what is the logic in the intention "To change the Mixed One Person Dinghy Event to Mixed Two Person Keelboat Offshore"? It makes no sense at all to replace chalk with cheese.
    Surely everyone who would be competitive in a Finn would be able to sail this new class, no? They may not be able to sail a singlehanded class, but they would still have a route to compete in the Olympics.
    And not everyone's physique is catered for in every event. If you are a lightweight rower you will never be able to win an Olympic gold medal in 8s. Other events yes, but never in the 8.

What you say is exactly right BBG (and I'd probably defer to your judgement if I disagreed).

But the daunting primitive power and demands of the Finn, and the dynamic performance of its ablest sailors in view of the necessity to pump the boat by sheer physical strength, separates it as a display of combined abilities from the lighter, 'universal' Laser.

I've always felt it creates a thrilling, easily-appreciated event by virtue of the una rig's simplicity and the huge pressure on each man alone, rather than the Laser's universality or the pressures on a team sharing the complicated balance of three sails and skiff pace.

Not saying I'm not glad to see a keelboat in the line-up...there should never have been any doubt of its inclusion.

But the fact that something new like the "mixed kite" is included should not, to my mind, exclude repetition of a classic contest.

Getting back to the meat of this thread, I would be interested to know what they consider to be an "offshore" race. How long? 2 hours? 6 hours? 24 hours including tidal gates?

Selection of the boat is confirmed.

So we are actually going to see a boat with twin bloody wheels being used as an offshore doublehander.

https://l30class.org/l30-one-dsign/

What a total and ridiculous joke.
    You never know, I might be right!

I also think that it is a bit of a risk that they are using the Rolex Middle Sea race as the main inaugural event. They are going to be by far the smallest boats in the fleet, last year there were only a couple of boats under 35 feet and an l30 is about 2 tonnes lighter than anything that was entered last year, so if they do get a windy middle sea race (which often seams to happen) they are going to take a real pasting, it won't look good if in their first event half of the boats are DNF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
    I also think that it is a bit of a risk that they are using the Rolex Middle Sea race as the main inaugural event. They are going to be by far the smallest boats in the fleet, last year there were only a couple of boats under 35 feet and an l30 is about 2 tonnes lighter than anything that was entered last year, so if they do get a windy middle sea race (which often seams to happen) they are going to take a real pasting, it won't look good if in their first event half of the boats are DNF.
    As I understand it, it's worse than that. They can't actually compete in the event itself as the boats don't meet the stability requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post

I know it's an old post, but the fact is that the Finn class has been utterly hypocritical over the weight issue. For decades, they didn't give a damn about lightweight dinghy sailors. Until the 470 came in, the Olympics had no place for light sailors. I have old interviews where the issue was raised and the Finnsters basically said "bad luck, small sailors are not athletes".

The class only appears to have decided that OIympic sailing should be open to people of all weights when it suited the Finn's own interests. While it is a great class, its attitude towards weight equity is hypocritical, inconsistent and self serving and therefore not worthy of consideration.

They made a video.

Overall, quite a few of my objections to the execution have been answered. Just the issue of training for 4 years for one race in supplied kit... Break something and game over, and you don't even get to be responsible for the kit...

Looks interesting. I wonder how teams go about getting access to one of these boats?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast