Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Default Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

Well I’ve been giving more thought to undertaking a leisurely round Britain gig... maybe over a summer...

Most of this would probably be single handed...

Now, I’m happy that Talisman could do the job easily.... she 31 feet, Cat A, 1.8m draft... but I’m inclined towards something a bit quicker and more sporty... possibly a Dufour 34... or maybe a Dehler 35cr...

I’m also wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of these deeper finned boats... would that cause me issues with getting into places, leaving some of the good bits undoable...

And for the avoidance of doubt... I’m keen to cut the corner and do the run from Inverness through Loch Ness etc...

Tips and thoughts?

Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post

And for the avoidance of doubt... I’m keen to cut the corner and do the run from Inverness through Loch Ness etc...
    I've always been perplexed as to why anyone would undertake such a trip and cut out the best cruising ground in the UK.

I've always been perplexed as to why anyone willing to sail that distance wouldn't prefer to go to Normandy and Brittany

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I've always been perplexed as to why anyone would undertake such a trip and cut out the best cruising ground in the UK.
    . We are keen to do that bit.... but I would like to then go north once out at Fort William....so it may be a case of miss out the top eastern bit... I suspect that the most time I will spend on the trip will be Scotland... we had a decade in the West Country, and we are on the east coast now..

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    I've always been perplexed as to why anyone willing to sail that distance wouldn't prefer to go to Normandy and Brittany
    I’ll do those on the way to the canaries and the Caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Because most can pop over for the weekend. Says man looking forward to sailing round the British Isles especially his old home waters of the N W Highlands.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    . We are keen to do that bit.... but I would like to then go north once out at Fort William....so it may be a case of miss out the top eastern bit... I suspect that the most time I will spend on the trip will be Scotland... we had a decade in the West Country, and we are on the east coast now..
    Very well, and wasn't meant as a dig at you. Just I've seen so many blogs about up the Irish sea, into the Clyde, through the Crinan then straight to Ft William and through the Caley - always seemed to miss the point somewhat.

I'd be inclined to go for a bilge keeler so as to be able to take the ground in the many shallow/drying harbours you'll otherwise be denied the use of.
    If you can find one a Sadler32 would suit the job perfectly but they didn't make many with that configuration.

I had a pal do it this year, by going round the top he was able to visit several additional distilleries!
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

I’m inclined to agree withOld Bumbulbum and go for a bilge keeler, certainly more convenient on the West Coast, especially across Cardigan Bay where many of the harbours are drying. The Sadler 32 is certainly a good choice alternatively a popular boat of similar size in our area is the Westerly Fulmar. Both sail well, I prefer the Sadler but thats just a personal preference, cos’ I like masthead rigs rather than fractional.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast