Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 62
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fareham
    Posts
    6,414

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Modern bilge-keeler perhaps? Sadler 290, RM 880.
    ۞

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Solent, UK
    Posts
    4,323

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Modern bilge-keeler perhaps? Sadler 290, RM 880.
    +1 for a bilge or lifting keel boat. Failing that, perhaps one of the later wing keeled boats.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

  3. #13
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    30,977

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    +1 for a bilge or lifting keel boat. Failing that, perhaps one of the later wing keeled boats.
    Wing keeled starlight 35?....

    I’m more inclined that way than a Sadler 32 or fulmar... (every fulmar I’ve looked at has been a bit damp..)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    31,977

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Well I致e been giving more thought to undertaking a leisurely round Britain gig... maybe over a summer...

    Most of this would probably be single handed...

    Now, I知 happy that Talisman could do the job easily.... she 31 feet, Cat A, 1.8m draft... but I知 inclined towards something a bit quicker and more sporty... possibly a Dufour 34... or maybe a Dehler 35cr...

    I知 also wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of these deeper finned boats... would that cause me issues with getting into places, leaving some of the good bits undoable...

    And for the avoidance of doubt... I知 keen to cut the corner and do the run from Inverness through Loch Ness etc...

    Tips and thoughts?
    There has been masses of material written about this subject. YM for example asked exactly the same question in its series on buying used boats a few months ago.

    The answer is - well there really isn't an answer. However just to deal with the draft bit. Deeper draft limits your ability to access some harrbours but probably such a boat extends the passage range and may help your prefered itinerary by being faster.

    It really comes down to your personal preference - are you going to do it as quickly as possible and is this the challenge? or do you want to amble around in your own time seeing as much as you can landwise and perhaps only sailing in perfect conditions?

    The attraction of your existing boat is that you know it and are comfortable with it. A new to you, more powerful boat may take a while before you have confidence that you can handle it, take time to sort out its foibles and be harder work to get the best out of it.

    Your existing boat is perfectly capable of going right the way round in one season if you are and seems to me that having a reliable boat is more important than speed. With good planning almost all legs can be a comfortable daylight sail.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Norfolk/Suffolk
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Modern bilge-keeler perhaps? Sadler 290, RM 880.
    Which is what I intend to do with my Sadler 290, or am I going straight to Brittany? I'm having the same conversation with myself regarding destination and weather, and will most of my trip be spent fighting off midges and drizzle. Bit harsh perhaps because Scotland is beautiful, but I do fancy warm sunshine though. Does rain a lot in the SW though compared to the East Coast.
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Grenoble
    Posts
    25,391

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Talisman is more than capable of making reasonable speedy passages particularly in lighter airs when perhaps you will choose to make most of your passages. Unless you want a bigger boat why bother to change?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Solent
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Why do you need a bilge keeler to go around, just don't stop - problem solved

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Aberaeron
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    Why do you need a bilge keeler to go around, just don't stop - problem solved
    Where’s the fun/pleasure in that? You’d miss all the conviviality in the clubs and the pubs you could visit en route.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Loch Snizort, Isle of Skye
    Posts
    4,629

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Talisman is more than capable of making reasonable speedy passages particularly in lighter airs when perhaps you will choose to make most of your passages. Unless you want a bigger boat why bother to change?
    That was my thought too. I don't know what type of boat she is but most 31ft yachts are perfectly capable of the trip.
    The hassle of changing boat, and then getting the new one all set up the way you want it, seems a big price to pay for a few extra feet and a few tenths of a knot better passage speeds.
    Or maybe the OP is keen to change boats anyway?
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

    Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Well I致e been giving more thought to undertaking a leisurely round Britain gig... maybe over a summer...

    Most of this would probably be single handed...

    Now, I知 happy that Talisman could do the job easily.... she 31 feet, Cat A, 1.8m draft... but I知 inclined towards something a bit quicker and more sporty... possibly a Dufour 34... or maybe a Dehler 35cr...

    I知 also wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of these deeper finned boats... would that cause me issues with getting into places, leaving some of the good bits undoable...

    And for the avoidance of doubt... I知 keen to cut the corner and do the run from Inverness through Loch Ness etc...

    Tips and thoughts?
    A trimaran. You get super sporty with the only constraint on how sporty being your own appetite for sporty sauce. You get a draft that allows you to stop pretty much wherever you fancy and dry out with no issues. You get great form stability and comfort underway; no more constantly having to brace yourself when the wind picks up and your heeling. With a trailerable folding design you get the very best flexibility.

    Here's a 22ft Astus doing the kind of thing you are suggesting.. (No affiliation) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ChHsjvOV4

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to