Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Ideal Round Britain yacht for singlehander...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    The primary reason for doing it anticlock wize! Get the boring stuff done first.
    But the winds are more favourable clockwise.

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    So it is alleged, I've also heard that tides are more favourable clockwise. Why anybody wants to beat down "le manche" at the end of long trip is beyond me. I'll get a cracking passage from Cork in Eire back to Plymouth.

As I said above the great thing with what we do is there are lots of different ways to do it.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    Not sure that is so. Depends a bit on time of year! In May often easterly winds that make it easy to reach Lands End and possibly SW Ireland, but cold rough and hard work up the East Coast A bit later and you might be beating all the way to Land’s End, but gliding up the East Coast in an offshore wind,! I think the most important factor is the effect of depressions in the Irish Sea. SW gales are followed by gusty NW winds that make progress north very uncomfortable, whilst reaching southwards is then fast and often sunny. Anti clockwise for me!

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Well Iíve been giving more thought to undertaking a leisurely round Britain gig... maybe over a summer...

Most of this would probably be single handed...

Now, Iím happy that Talisman could do the job easily.... she 31 feet, Cat A, 1.8m draft... but Iím inclined towards something a bit quicker and more sporty... possibly a Dufour 34... or maybe a Dehler 35cr...

Iím also wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of these deeper finned boats... would that cause me issues with getting into places, leaving some of the good bits undoable...

And for the avoidance of doubt... Iím keen to cut the corner and do the run from Inverness through Loch Ness etc...
    This is a great plan, great voyage, loads of wonderful places to visit. I've been round a couple of times and would do it again

But,

Don't rush it, a summer will not be enough

Orkney, the Western Isles and the North West Coast of Scotland are three of the five best cruising areas in the UK: 60% of the UK coastline is merely a delivery voyage (that's a bit harsh) : your current plan leaves out the best bits

Deep keel is only a problem between Lowestoft and Hartlepool, a stretch that really does have to be treated as a delivery

Having done about 60% of the route, I personally wouldnít want a bilge keeler.
    Some of the legs are longish, so a modern fin keel boat with ability to SAIL comfortably at decent speeds will shorten the passage times, reduce tiredness and allow more time to enjoy the places to visit.
    Also many insurers limit single handers to 18 hour passages, so ability to complete the longer legs in this timescale could be important for the OP.
    Though the East Coast has shallowish waters in places, the priority here may be to get the long hops done quickly. Plenty of deep water for the rest of the route (perhaps doing the Irish Sea via Ireland rather than Bristol Channel and Wales (ducking for cover!)

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Plenty of deep water for the rest of the route (perhaps doing the Irish Sea via Ireland rather than Bristol Channel and Wales (ducking for cover!)
    Check with your insurers about Eire, when I spoke with mine that was not part of a UK coastal policy. The other little known fact was coastal is upto 12 nm offshore <b>unless you are on passage</b>. Next year I am extending my range to 30 miles offshore just to be on the safe side.

I think the key is to talk to your insurers about your plans.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I think you should change if you want to, but only if you are fully convinced you want a different boat. The advantages of familiarity, ready set-up to your tastes and confidence in all the parts shouldn't be given up lightly. (Or at least not too lightly! )

Your talk of something a bit quicker and more sporty also reminds me of a friend who has many times toured Europe on a motorbike. He used to frequently thrash down motorways at very high speeds, but now has reached the age where he is content to cruise along at 70ish. He says he has noticed that it doesn't actually take significantly (or at all) longer to get anywhere, because he would previously have had to stop more frequently for fuel, and halted longer each time because of the physical and mental stress of very high speed riding.

Though bikes and boats are quite different, I wonder whether there's an element of similarity in that a sporty boat will be tend to be livelier, requiring more bracing, adjustment and concentration, and be less conducive to the navigation and drink/food preparation etc. that will take up more of your passage time as a single hander on longer than local jaunts.

I am definitely not arguing against sportier boats, for either you or anyone else, but just suggesting you consider the issue.
    It's easy to slow a fast boat down but to get a slow boat to go faster....

Another option could be to do it in a trailer sailer making time more flexible. I know a guy who did the trip over a few years when it was convenient in a Drascombe and wrote a book about it.

"Drascombe around Britain, a circumnavigation in easy stages" by Jim Hopwood.
    Last edited by Zagato; 08-11-18 at 20:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
    Another option could be to do it in a trailer sailer making time more flexible. I know a guy who did the trip over a few years when it was convenient in a Drascombe and wrote a book about it.

"Drascombe around Britain, a circumnavigation in easy stages" by Jim Hopwood.
    Who moved the trailer while he was sailing to a new place?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascadale View Post
    This is a great plan, great voyage, loads of wonderful places to visit. I've been round a couple of times and would do it again

But,

Don't rush it, a summer will not be enough

Orkney, the Western Isles and the North West Coast of Scotland are three of the five best cruising areas in the UK: 60% of the UK coastline is merely a delivery voyage (that's a bit harsh) : your current plan leaves out the best bits

Deep keel is only a problem between Lowestoft and Hartlepool, a stretch that really does have to be treated as a delivery
    Haven’t done it yet but thats the plan. Rather dreading the Lowestoft and over the edge of the known world simply because of the boredom. Leaving the boat over winter in the west and spending a whole season there seems sensible given the fantastic reports about the area.
    Only thing holding us up at the moment are the very elderly dogs.
    Donít woffle

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast