Default Power cuts and water in plugs

Been getting a few powercuts on the boat after heavy rain. Have noticed water inside the 32amp plugs themselves. Short term solution is to put some electrical tape around where the male/female plugs connect. But also thought water could get in where the cable goes into the cable.

So have bought a couple of these - https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-wat...onnectors.html - hopefully they do the job.

Default Re: Power cuts and water in plugs

Quote Originally Posted by TonyR123 View Post
    Been getting a few powercuts on the boat after heavy rain. Have noticed water inside the 32amp plugs themselves. Short term solution is to put some electrical tape around where the male/female plugs connect. But also thought water could get in where the cable goes into the cable.

So have bought a couple of these - https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-wat...onnectors.html - hopefully they do the job.
    Would it not be better to get a longer one piece cable and do away with the socket and plug.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyR123 View Post

Surely the socket should be mounted type which points down and so would plug ,or are you using extension lead ,if so you need to make a longer lead ad the extension socket could fall in the water

boat has 2 connections and only one on the pontoon. So need a Y piece to connect both - if that makes sense.

How about getting a long enough single lead so you can put the splitter in the boat and run the two leads out and into their respective sockets? That would keep the joints dry.

is the water getting in the splitter as those units will not fit a splitter ,you would be better with a wiska box with dome head bushes

Dont think there is much point in buying more cable to have the connection on the boat. Although that is an alternative.

The splitter is not plastic but splits into 2 cables (all 3 ends with plugs on) - so they should fit. I also have another adapter that plugs into the pontoon itself as the port has its own plugs - common in the med I believe .

Have it as is so I can then use what I have in another marina with a different adaptor for the pontoon electrics - if that makes sense.

Why are there two Cables in ?
    Is it a Jeaneau ? Seen a few with double cables in and using a Y made up connector at the shorepower box end running two cables onboard to two shorepower in sockets .

Those Y things are usually hanging there or thereabouts at dog knob height with potential a bit more than water getting doused on them I I talk from experience owning a dog and letting him off on the pontoon for a comfort break .

What does each cable do ? I mean for better understanding what would happen if you just plugged one of the two in ?

It is a prestige. One cable is for heating/air con and the other for the rest (from memory). Not wrong on the height and what may use it.

I think those cable plug connectors that you've bought are a good solution. Note that I had a connector to a meter cable that became almost impossible to separate. I applied lashings of vaseline to keep the moisture out and give some lubrication. You might want to consider the same.