Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Default Fishing boat overturned in the Dover Straight.

A fairly large fishing boat capsized yesterday in the Dover Straight at about 4pm. The video is worth watching as two of the four survivors managed to get on the up turned hull.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkest...rescue-193031/
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Default Re: Fishing boat overturned in the Dover Straight.

Thankfully the men are safe and sound. Well done to everyone involved, as the conditions seemed pretty harsh.

Incidentally, from the same article, this quote from a Coastguard spokesman:

A spokesman continued: "HM Coastguard is also happy to receive radio checks from vessels if they wish to check their equipment before heading out to sea.

"You should always have a plan on board for ‘what if?’ and make sure everybody on board knows their part within the plan.

"In this case, a passing merchant vessel alerted HM Coastguard and we received an EPIRB distress alert which means we were able to respond quickly and get these four casualties safely rescued."

So this might put an end to discussions about radiochecks?

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    Thankfully the men are safe and sound. Well done to everyone involved, as the conditions seemed pretty harsh.

Incidentally, from the same article, this quote from a Coastguard spokesman:

A spokesman continued: "HM Coastguard is also happy to receive radio checks from vessels if they wish to check their equipment before heading out to sea.

"You should always have a plan on board for ‘what if?’ and make sure everybody on board knows their part within the plan.

"In this case, a passing merchant vessel alerted HM Coastguard and we received an EPIRB distress alert which means we were able to respond quickly and get these four casualties safely rescued."

So this might put an end to discussions about radiochecks?
    What do radio checks have to do with anything? Did they ask for a radio check instead of a Mayday?
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

From my reading of the report the distress call came from a passing merchant ship and not from the fishing vessel perhaps prompting an assumption that their vhf didnt work. My assumption was that it didnt work because the antena was twenty feet under water and a previous radio check might not have shown up a potentially similar problem?

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    From my reading of the report the distress call came from a passing merchant ship and not from the fishing vessel perhaps prompting an assumption that their vhf didnt work. My assumption was that it didnt work because the antena was twenty feet under water and a previous radio check might not have shown up a potentially similar problem?
    The radio would not work because the radio operator was in the water.

I wonder how quick it turned over? I suspect they may not have had much warning to call for help.

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    What do radio checks have to do with anything? Did they ask for a radio check instead of a Mayday?
    Everything! Being anywhere in a F 8/9/10/11/12 and discovering that "it has hit the fan" being able to call for help is really useful. If you have not checked your VHF with anybody you might think it works, but do you know that it does?

In a past life I was a member of of a Mountain Rescue Team and the golden rule was check your radio before going on the hill and with hourly "welfare checks" we knew they worked. I once spent six hours on a ridge acting as "radio relay" (much like that passing merchant vessel) as the team extracted a severely injured climber from the gully. Perhaps I am over cautious, but having a radio that worked that dark and stormy night (F9) saved one guy's life and ensured that the rescue party was safe.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

In a previous case like this there was a question about the liferaft not deploying, and it seems possible that in a quick inversion by the time the hydrostatic release fires, the raft could be trapped in its inverted cradle. If this is a registered FV, which it seems to be, and over 7 metres, the raft and release are obligatory, as is the EPIRB which did work. It is entirely possible that the release was not correctly rigged, the MCA checks this but not proof against tampering, or 'making more secure'.

Worth repeating in re radio viability: you receive OK, you think it's working, but the inline fuse is corroded, receiving draws less than one amp, transmitting, 7 amps, at which point the corroded connection breaks down.

I imagine most people do not object to radio checks per se, but to the excessive number of them.

It would seem that some people feel to check their radios every weekend, with the coastguard, and on full power. This makes having Ch16 on around busy yachting locations tedious in the extreme, and clearly results in numerous people not monitoring Ch16, which rather defeats the objective.

Glad to hear crew are safe, re radio checks there was a fairly heated thread a few weeks ago concerning radio checks with C/G, there seemed to be a lot of ‘snottiness’ about Ch 16 radio checks, which is perhaps understandable in a very busy area, but if C/G consider it part of their operations then the ocaisional radio check is surely just part of ones safety checks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast