Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Fishing boat overturned in the Dover Straight.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I imagine most people do not object to radio checks per se, but to the excessive number of them.
    There is also perhaps a difference between checking as dirty weather approaches in the winter and checking on a warm sunny summer's day.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Is there perchance a geographical element to the dislike of radio checks? I'm just far enough from the Solent so only hear about ten per day in the summer. Those still further afield my have to wait days to hear one, but within radio range of Cowes it can be wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPurdie View Post
    Is there perchance a geographical element to the dislike of radio checks? I'm just far enough from the Solent so only hear about ten per day in the summer. Those still further afield my have to wait days to hear one, but within radio range of Cowes it can be wearing.
    Some of the posters should stay well away from busy places like the Straits of Gibraltar as its likely their faces will go bright red and their heads will explode.

Rodger.....over and out!

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Some of the posters should stay well away from busy places like the Straits of Gibraltar as its likely their faces will go bright red and their heads will explode.
    I wonder if Tarifa are still setting alarms off every half hour asking boats to look out for an inflatable adrift with 6 people on board? We turn the radio off when in range.

We used to use the coast radio station at Land's End, you would hear the carrier wave come back for ten seconds. I have proposed on here that we could perhaps have an automatic system, I asked the CG if they thought it worth while, but got no further. You would transmit your name or ID and hear it back as received.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    It would seem that some people feel to check their radios every weekend, with the coastguard, and on full power.
    Utter rubbish, you rarely hear the same yacht more than once, and it's a fair bet that the odd one you hear more often is a charter boat with a different crew.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    their faces will go bright red
    I think that is probably their standard look.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 09-11-18 at 11:28.

Re radio checks: in our neck of the woods, RNLI lifeboats out for an evening exercise always give an "Ops normal" call to the CG, every 30 minutes, presumably primarily to show that they still have radio comms. I expect that's the usual procedure everywhere. If it's good enough for them........

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Re radio checks: in our neck of the woods, RNLI lifeboats out for an evening exercise always give an "Ops normal" call to the CG, every 30 minutes, presumably primarily to show that they still have radio comms. I expect that's the usual procedure everywhere. If it's good enough for them........
    Never heard of that before. And RNLI lifeboats tend to converse with CoastGuard on a reserved channel (0?), unless it is relevant to other vessels in the area

Usually at a lifeboat station, somewhere in Southern England......

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    And it's every 15 minutes for an ILB.
    Just to check that the thing is still the right way up, we're all still on board, and also where we're planning to go next, in case they need to task us to a job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast