Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Fairline Corniche Replacing Fuel Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by telsyork View Post
    Ok, tanks are out.
    They are wedge shaped 60 mm less at the bottom than the top.
    Almost all the rust, as expected, is in the bottom plate.
    We have decided they are beyond repair and are going for new stainless tanks.
    I thought about Tek tanks, but, due to having some good friends in the trade I can get two tanks fabbed up for under 600
    dont forget to put in a good fuel gauge of some sort then measure what you put in at sa quater on gauge ,and so on so you know your amounts

Good idea seastoke
    Thanks for that idea, cos you're never sure what 1/2 or 3/4 on the gauge actually means.

Quote Originally Posted by telsyork View Post
    Good idea seastoke
    Thanks for that idea, cos you're never sure what 1/2 or 3/4 on the gauge actually means.
    is your boat on the trent

Just a suggestion, how about epoxy lining the bottom, or the entire inside of the tanks before installation as this holds back a lot of the corrosion and wear you may get inside the tanks.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

I had a Fairline Sedan 36 with steel tanks and they rotted through on the tops from salt sat there.

I replaced them with steel tanks painted again but i put in sumps with drain ball valves and screw on caps on the drain lines ( belt and braces) so every trip I could drain off any debris and water.

I also fitted Tank Tender fuel gauges https://www.improducts.co.uk/brands/tank-tender which I have fitted to three boats now. if you fit them fit a guide tube to take the cappilliary line to the bottom of the tank, when you first fill each tank fill it say 30 litres at a time and mark the reading on the TT gauge then draw a graph for each tank. incredibly accurate.

I also fitted back much larger tanks but its probably not appropriate for you, by continuing the tank up behind the saloon panelling for a greater range.

No we are in Portishead Marina

There is a guy on YouTube who has a very good channel called Sail Life. He's a total perfectionist and he is doing a seriously in-depth refit of a 38ft sailing cruiser. He had a new diesel tank made for his boat and here's the video. It might be overkill for what you want but worth a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhj7IIzu7B4
    He has earlier videos where he works out the design also. He mocked it up in cardboard and then MDF.
    I like his fuel polishing setup.
    Last edited by Dino; 16-11-18 at 12:57. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123