Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Mooring Swap Forum

I'm wondering whether there might be scope on YBW to have a separate forum for vacant mooring opportunities? An example would be that I'm planning on a trip to Cornwall next year but know that in many places it'll be hard to find a mooring, and anchorages may be busy too. But people down there with a mooring may be cruising elsewhere and so have a vacant buoy for a day/week/month etc... In turn, I'd be leaving a mooring free on the east coast that someone else might like to use in my absence. Obviously there would be conditions and standards to adhere to, but you'll get the gist of it I'm sure.

It could open-up new cruising grounds for many of us.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Default Re: Mooring Swap Forum

I think the "conditions and standards" would prevent this in many cases unless it a private mooring.

I think there is a real north south divide on this one. In the north a vacant mooring is considered ok to use by visitors provided that you remain available to move if the owner returns. In the south this does not seem to be the understanding, perhaps because unlike the north there are usually charges for anchorages and visitor moorings.

Quote Originally Posted by C08 View Post
    I think there is a real north south divide on this one. In the north a vacant mooring is considered ok to use by visitors provided that you remain available to move if the owner returns. In the south this does not seem to be the understanding
    My understanding was the other way round

Maybe borrowing moorings is normal at both ends of the country, but we only hear about the occasional grumpy sods (precisely because they're unusual) in the places we don't visit.

Pete

I'm aware my own West Country club welcomes visitors each season, but it is very 'low key'. There are rules forced on us by the Harbour Authority, such as being able to produce a suitable insurance certificate for each and every one, and club committee members being able to contact a visitor by telephone pdq.

No-one is pleased to find a visitor turns up and secures to a vacant mooring without a 'by your leave', then locks up, paddles ashore, is picked up and disappears away home for a week. Or longer, like one user of this place....

But otherwise, informally and by consent.... Of course

I think its a good idea.

If there is agreement between the parties then it makes putting together a extended cruise a lot easier.

Not sure if the marinas would be happy swapping moorings??

With memories of the mooring lassoing threads still fresh in my mind I would be reluctant to let anyone who was trained in RYA methods anywhere near my mooring.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    With memories of the mooring lassoing threads still fresh in my mind I would be reluctant to let anyone who was trained in RYA methods anywhere near my mooring.
    +1. I am very happy for people to use my mooring when I'm away, as long as they ask first, don't overload it and USE IT PROPERLY.

So, anyone who knows what a pickup buoy is for and wants to visit the Clyde next summer with something up to 4 tonnes and 1.5m, please do get in touch.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Same here.

..and me.

Donald

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast