Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Channel Traffic Separation Zones.

A little while ago someone said that in the central channel area, between the English Channel Separation zone and the Dover Separation lanes, vessels were directed not to impede traffic proceeding up and down channel.

I confirmed this myself, to my complete satisfaction but have lost the reference. So maybe I dreamt it.

Can anyone dig out a link for this? Thanks.

Default Re: Channel Traffic Separation Zones.

I just keep out of their way. They don't notice the loss of 1/2 a knot, for 10 mins, 2 miles from them.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Bit annoying from them if they had plotted a course to go behind you...

Cool Re: Channel Traffic Separation Zones.

Broadly speaking, traffic tends to roll up and down the channel on the most direct course between the separation zones at Dover and the Casquettes. On the UK side, Portsmouth and Southampton are the main sources of traffic joining the zones and on the French side Cherbourg and Le Havre so you do get traffic outside these routes and even those following the direct route between them do spread out a bit. It's quite important, therefore, to know where you are in relation to these routes. Even if you have AIS it's no guarantee that a commercial vessel will "see" you and seeing them isn't the whole answer. When crossing, keep a good lookout. Keep commercial shipping monitored when you do see it, and always cross behind. I am advised by a ships' navigator to always turn to Starboard, even if the vessel is approaching from the Port Side and it means a turn of >180 degrees for you.

Works for me.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

You might well avoid the separation zones if crossing from the Solent or Brighton but as far as the yachtsman goes it is much the same except that you are not bound by the right angle rule.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Good stuff, thanks to all.
    What I would like to trace is a link to something which I am sure I saw, unless I am going nuts. That is:

That boats crossing the main lines of traffic, in that sector, are requested to not impede ships transiting between the two separation zones

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    So maybe I dreamt it.
    If you mean, as I think you do, outside the separation zones on the line between the dover TSS and the off-casquets TSS...my money is on you having dreamt it.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Good stuff, thanks to all.
    What I would like to trace is a link to something which I am sure I saw, unless I am going nuts. That is:

That boats crossing the main lines of traffic, in that sector, are requested to not impede ships transiting between the two separation zones
    Charts have it as a recommended traffic lane and note below so maybe something in it >

HO Definition:RECOMMENDED TRAFFIC LANE PART. Recommended direction of traffic flow is a traffic flow pattern indicating a recommended directional movement of traffic where it is impractical or unnecessary to adopt an established direction of traffic flow. (IHO Dictionary –S-32).A recommended traffic lane part is an area of a recommended direction of traffic control area within which traffic flow is generally along one bearing.
    Last edited by GHA; 13-11-18 at 14:29.

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    If you mean, as I think you do, outside the separation zones on the line between the dover TSS and the off-casquets TSS...my money is on you having dreamt it.
    About 5 years ago I was at an RIN meeting in Warsash discussing the interface between commercial vessels and leisure craft. The presentation was by an Ex RN officer, currently working commercially as a deck officer on a Tanker. Much of what he said rather assumed a quite sophisticated electronic navigation suite on the leisure craft. He was advising, for example, yachts taking avoiding action when the commercial vessel was around five miles distant as the ship might take 2 miles to alter course around it and later avoiding action might easily put the smaller craft in danger. It was pointed out to him that most small craft couldn't determine if a collision course was probable until the ship was much closer, using hand bearing compasses to ascertain the likelihood of a collision. He said then that current advice for leisure craft was not to impede ships in transit, and the safest course of action was to "run away".

Even if Snark were travelling at right angles to the general direction of traffic wrt compass course, the tide would have as big an effect on the course as the helm.
    Last edited by Topcat47; 13-11-18 at 14:33.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Charts have it as a recommended traffic lane and note below so maybe something in it >

HO Definition:RECOMMENDED TRAFFIC LANE PART. Recommended direction of traffic flow is a traffic flow pattern indicating a recommended directional movement of traffic where it is impractical or unnecessary to adopt an established direction of traffic flow. (IHO Dictionary –S-32).A recommended traffic lane part is an area of a recommended direction of traffic control area within which traffic flow is generally along one bearing.

Bingo, that must have been what it was.

Nothing to do with not impeding, thank you GHA.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast