Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: WHat Gear oils should i use for VOlvo Penta SX drive 1:51

    Amsoil.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: WHat Gear oils should i use for VOlvo Penta SX drive 1:51

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    I think you're missing the point. Outdrives are susceptible to water contamination due to leaking seals etc. Volvo claim that their gear oil is unique in having additives that protect against this. Unless you have some insider knowledge then I would suggest that you are speculating (gambling) on whether this claim is valid or not.
    Now your contradicting yourself here, on the one hand you are saying they are sealed units which means air and moisture cannot get in, and now you are saying water and moist air can get in which contradict your claims about them being sealed units, which is it? If water and moisture can get in then anything boiled off can get out.

    What I would suggest, in the nicest possible way, is that you do some research into oils and how they work and when you begin to understand them you will see so many of the seemingly spurious marketing claims made about oils by the majority of oil companies.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,713

    Default Re: WHat Gear oils should i use for VOlvo Penta SX drive 1:51

    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Now your contradicting yourself here, on the one hand you are saying they are sealed units which means air and moisture cannot get in, and now you are saying water and moist air can get in which contradict your claims about them being sealed units, which is it? If water and moisture can get in then anything boiled off can get out.

    What I would suggest, in the nicest possible way, is that you do some research into oils and how they work and when you begin to understand them you will see so many of the seemingly spurious marketing claims made about oils by the majority of oil companies.
    I'm not contradicting myself in the slightest. Yes, outdrives are sealed but the contamination arises from a failure of those seals. As I've said throughout this post, if you believe Volvo are lying about the unique properties of their gear oil, then buy non branded stuff! I'll stick with the priper stuff.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: WHat Gear oils should i use for VOlvo Penta SX drive 1:51

    I wonder why you are claiming people are lying, no oils have unique properties as they all use the same essential basic materials in their composition, albeit in different proportions, what is difficult to understand about this

    All the above names companies have VP approval so their lubricants have been tested and conform to, or exceed the specifications laid down by VP.

    Nearly all companies make claims about their oils and they have huge legal budgets and they word their advertising to just the legal side of the line and VP as a distributor are no different, just the same as Castrol claim to have polarised molecules. Wording is essential in advertising and it has to be just enough to dupe the uninitiated into believing their product is something unique while just stating legal.
    In point of fact, if you are UK based your base stocks will come from Comma in Gravesend and these will have gone to Exxon Mobil for blending so are you using VP oil or a combination of Comma and Mobil?
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,713

    Default Re: WHat Gear oils should i use for VOlvo Penta SX drive 1:51

    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    I wonder why you are claiming people are lying, no oils have unique properties as they all use the same essential basic materials in their composition, albeit in different proportions, what is difficult to understand about this

    All the above names companies have VP approval so their lubricants have been tested and conform to, or exceed the specifications laid down by VP.

    Nearly all companies make claims about their oils and they have huge legal budgets and they word their advertising to just the legal side of the line and VP as a distributor are no different, just the same as Castrol claim to have polarised molecules. Wording is essential in advertising and it has to be just enough to dupe the uninitiated into believing their product is something unique while just stating legal.
    In point of fact, if you are UK based your base stocks will come from Comma in Gravesend and these will have gone to Exxon Mobil for blending so are you using VP oil or a combination of Comma and Mobil?
    For the avoidance of doubt, the comments that I've made in this thread relate solely to gear oil and I have qualified them as such. I fully accept that engine oil is made to a specification and also fully accept that Volvo do not make any lubricants themselves.

    As you say, there is a lot of marketing bullshit and your example of "polarised molecules" is one. However, there is a lot of difference between this and the claim that Volvo make about their gear oil, which is that it includes...

    "Includes advanced additive technology with unique capability to minimize water contamination damage."

    Note that word unique.

    So I ask you two simple questions:

    1) Do you have any proof that no such "additive" is included in the gear (outdrive) oil that is manufactured on Volvo's behalf?
    2) If you accept that such an additive is included then can you provide the specification that boat owners can use to ensure that other manufacturer's gear oil includes the same additives?

    Pete

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: WHat Gear oils should i use for VOlvo Penta SX drive 1:51

    If you actually understood oil and its specifications, instead of trying to create futile and pointless arguments you wouldn't need to ask these pointless questions.

    More to the point, can you prove VP have or don't have these unique additives?
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,713

    Default Re: WHat Gear oils should i use for VOlvo Penta SX drive 1:51

    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    If you actually understood oil and its specifications, instead of trying to create futile and pointless arguments you wouldn't need to ask these pointless questions.
    No surprise that you aren't able to answer my questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    More to the point, can you prove VP have or don't have these unique additives?
    No, I can't but I'm not about to gamble £10k worth of outdrives to save £50 (actually £15 or so in my case) because some bloke on the web reckons that Volvo's claims are spurious.

    Anyhow, I think we've done this to death now so I hope this will be my last post on this topic.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    679

    Default Re: WHat Gear oils should i use for VOlvo Penta SX drive 1:51

    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    More to the point, can you prove VP have or don't have these unique additives?
    Can you prove they don’t ? And that what they are advertising is not correct ?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: WHat Gear oils should i use for VOlvo Penta SX drive 1:51

    If either of you actually read my posts, and actually understood a little about oil then you wouldn't be asking such silly questions.

    If you actually read their literature and specifications it clearly shows they don't, now unless Volvo have added some dragon snot, powdered hens teeth, or fine fairy dust without telling anyone.

    More to the point, it explains why you cant answer mine, and the reasons you are misled.


    Includes advanced additive technology with unique capability to minimize water contamination damage
    ."

    Now read what exactly it says. INCLUDES ADVANCED ADDITIVE TECHNOLOGY and it doesn't actually mention anything specifically about additives, as I previously said it is about being just the right side of the boundaries for avoiding misleading advertising
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to