Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ice in the Kiel Canal/ Elbe

I left our boat, a 39' GRP sloop, in a small harbour off the Kiel Canal, needing to return to complete a passage home to the UK. I have been delayed in getting that window of time. I am now advised that as the temperature falls with an Easterly wind, it's going to ice over in the spurs off the canal and I am afraid of damage to her hull.

I know of a location in Cuxhaven in the mouth of the river Elbe where I could (nearly did) leave her. Does anyone know if this is safe from icing over? I would ideally just take the couple of days to move her out of the canal and to there, to return in the winter (yes, I know...) to bring her home.

Default Re: Ice in the Kiel Canal/ Elbe

Are you aware of bubbler technology?

https://keetonaquatics.com/prevent-b...e-this-winter/
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Cuxhaven is sea-water, so inherently less likely to freeze than the (mainly) fresh water of the canal. Also, by moving there, you will be nearer facilities, chandlers, boatyards etc.

To my mind, it would make sense to make the move to Cuxhaven, if time and budget allow. If nothing else, it will save you a day or two when you plan the return to the UK.

Although doing that in the winter could be a bit of an epic, as the "standmast" route probably wouldn't be available, or at least, very restricted, so you are stuck with the "outside" route and days will be short, temperatures will be low and the possibility of bad weather during your trip increased. Could possibly be done with short calm-weather windows by using the main ports, Cuxhaven to Den Helder, Den H to Ijmuiden, Ijmuiden to UK. Or if you are lucky with the weather, push very hard and do it all in one go. Glad it won't be me having to make that decision, though!

Have you considered overwintering there?
    Winterstalling seems to be a big industry there and prices appear reasonable.
    Rendsburg might suit?

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    Although doing that in the winter could be a bit of an epic, as the "standmast" route probably wouldn't be available, or at least, very restricted, so you are stuck with the "outside" route and days will be short, temperatures will be low and the possibility of bad weather during your trip increased. Could possibly be done with short calm-weather windows by using the main ports, Cuxhaven to Den Helder, Den H to Ijmuiden, Ijmuiden to UK. Or if you are lucky with the weather, push very hard and do it all in one go. Glad it won't be me having to make that decision, though!
    I have done large parts of the standmast route in winter. There were specific problems with bridge opening, e.g some that open on Sundays in summer don't in winter, but generally there is no difficulty about it. We motored through thin ice many times without damaging the boat. Alphen aan de Rijn, January 1999 with ice visible on the water.

In 1997 we arrived to live in Holland, coinciding with the last really cold spell there and the last time the elfstedentocht was run. The ice in the Haringvliet was about 12 inches thick and skaters roamed the marinas. Very few boats were lifted out and I was told that none had suffered any damage.
    Last edited by vyv_cox; 18-11-18 at 10:38.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Although it would be sensible to move to seawater or land, that part of the Baltic hasn't frozen in recent years so I am told. One effect of this warming has been rampant toredo attacks on wooden structures and all the marinas in the area now have metal posts.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Although it would be sensible to move to seawater or land, that part of the Baltic hasn't frozen in recent years so I am told. One effect of this warming has been rampant toredo attacks on wooden structures and all the marinas in the area now have metal posts.
    I actually read that twice as "torpedo attacks" !! :-)
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Torpedo worm?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain C View Post
    I actually read that twice as "torpedo attacks" !! :-)
    We stopped fighting the Germans years ago. A couple from my collection, the first at Travemunde:

Last edited by johnalison; 19-11-18 at 18:59.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I recall with alarm that all the pontoon piles around Rendsburg, where our boat is, are wooden! I’m spending a long weekend via Easyjet to move her to the Elbe. Perhaps I’ll arrive to find her torpedoed by bivalves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast