Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Default Capsized trimaran uprights by itself

Incredible! At the Route du Rhum, the trimaran Arkema capsized, the skipper was eventually rescued by another participant and the boat abandoned.
    A few days later they left from Martinique with a tug, once they arrived on the spot surprise surprise they found the trimaran upright, mast up, it has righted by itself.

The hypothesis is one of the amas filled with water, sank, then a combination of wind and waves brought the mast up again. I recall this was one of the techniques to right a trimaran which were aired some tens year ago, but never thought it might be automatic.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Capsized trimaran uprights by itself

Wots an "amas"?
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

The term ama is a word in the Polynesian and Micronesian languages to describe the outrigger part of a canoe to provide stability.

Today, among the various Polynesian countries, the word ama is often used together with the word vaka (Cook Islands) or waka (Māori) or va'a (Samoa Islands, Tahiti), cognate words in various Polynesian languages to describe a canoe.

In modern sailing, the term is sometimes used to refer to the outrigger on a proa or trimaran, or the two sections of a catamaran.[1] However, calling the two sections of a catamaran by the word ama, is not technically correct since they are of equal size. A catamaran is technically a wa'a wa'a or double canoe connected by an aka.[2]

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Incredible! At the Route du Rhum, the trimaran Arkema capsized, the skipper was eventually rescued by another participant and the boat abandoned.
    A few days later they left from Martinique with a tug, once they arrived on the spot surprise surprise they found the trimaran upright, mast up, it has righted by itself.

The hypothesis is one of the amas filled with water, sank, then a combination of wind and waves brought the mast up again. I recall this was one of the techniques to right a trimaran which were aired some tens year ago, but never thought it might be automatic.
    Donald Crowhurst's "Teignmouth Electron" was fitted with a system which involved an inflatable air bag at the mast head and the ability to flood either of the floats.

(Source: "Voyage for Madmen" Peter Nichols)
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Donald Crowhurst's "Teignmouth Electron" was fitted with a system which involved an inflatable air bag at the mast head and the ability to flood either of the floats.

(Source: "Voyage for Madmen" Peter Nichols)
    I wonder if it might be truer to say that Crowhurst planned to fit such systems. But then he was a great planner.
    (Read the book two or three times but can't with confidence remember.)
    All epigrams are false

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Wots an "amas"?
    What's a "wots"?
    All epigrams are false

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    Wots an "amas"?
    Sorry I thought it was the name of the two lateral floaters/mini-hulls?

They started pumping the water out of the three hulls to decrease the loads during the tow.

I see Wikipedia had that term listed, I did not remember what language were the texts where I read it, probably more French, with their long history with Polynesia, though in official French is "flotteur"
    Last edited by Roberto; 22-11-18 at 17:56.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    I wonder if it might be truer to say that Crowhurst planned to fit such systems. But then he was a great planner.
    (Read the book two or three times but can't with confidence remember.)
    I think it was partially installed but not commissioned or tested.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    What's a "wots"?
    ۞

Not wishing to doubt the accuracy of the OP's post but equally being reasonably familiar with the forces required to turn a trimaran over I was a bit suspicious of this story.......

Reading through the various reports with the help of Google translate it confirms he did lose his rig in the capsize and that he cut it away afterwards. They also go on to say that one of the causes of the capsize appears to have been water ingress into the starboard float and they believe it continued to flood afterwards resulting in the float "sinking", and they believe this, combined with wind and a wave, may have righted the boat. I'm still not convinced. I'm not familiar with the construction technique used on this vessel but most multihulls are foam core and they have enough structural buoyancy and compartments to make them literally unsinkable.

Ian Farrier, the designer of my F27, made a point of flooding every compartment on the prototype (there are nine) and was still able to sail it around the harbour......

I know the facts around this story are a bit thin at the moment, but I'll be amazed if it transpires it really did right itself without human intervention......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast