Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Default Re: Britain By Boat - Tonight Channel 5 20:00- East Coast Episode

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    If you were to put a camera team on my boat, the result would be dead boring for the masses and not very interesting for sailing folk either, because nothing dramatic ever happens (unless I foul up and even then it's hardly Harry Potter, is it?). Sailing isn't like that, it's about being there, enjoying the moment. It simply doesn't translate onto film.
    Any programme about sailing for the masses will be a failure for any viewer who understands what's going on.
    I've seen John Sergeant on stage, he's a very funny man. I do enjoy the banter between the two of them.
    Agree

Agree +1

I’ve enjoyed both programs so far, ‘we’ as sailors know how sailing works, ‘we’ as East Coast sailors know that Ramgate Marina isn’t part of Bradwell ..etc. Etc. But many people don’t , ( including the director and editor by all accounts :0) ) and that’s why it’s on the telly.

Bad editing and continuity aside, I’m sure the boat was under its own power as it came alongside the pontoon in Lymington despite the engine having failed earlier that day and apparently getting fixed that night, but hey ho that’s TV for ya!

Still, it’s a bit of lightweight entertainment, and it’s got boats in it , can’t be all bad eh ?

I guess it was never intended to be taken too seriously, I mean it’s not like it’s real life like a Top Gear ‘challenge’ or that Eastenders is a true reflection of the daily lives of Londoners, (insert ironic smile) it’s a bit of telly...that’s all.

For a decent ‘Round Britain’ experience check out Dylan Winters ‘Keep Turning Left’ website.... that’s proper sailing.

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
    Last edited by Applescruffs; 01-12-18 at 09:54.
    "Work is the curse of the Drinking Classes" Oscar W.

Quote Originally Posted by Applescruffs View Post
    Agree +1

Iíve enjoyed both programs so far, Ďweí as sailors know how sailing works, Ďweí as East Coast sailors know that Ramgate Marina isnít part of Bradwell ..etc. Etc. But many people donít , ( including the director and editor by all accounts :0) ) and thatís why itís on the telly.

Bad editing and continuity aside, Iím sure the boat was under its own power as it came alongside the pontoon in Lymington despite the engine having failed earlier that day and apparently getting fixed that night, but hey ho thatís TV for ya!

Still, itís a bit of lightweight entertainment, and itís got boats in it , canít be all bad eh ?

I guess it was never intended to be taken too seriously, I mean itís not like itís real life like a Top Gear Ďchallengeí or that Eastenders is a true reflection of the daily lives of Londoners, (insert ironic smile) itís a bit of telly...thatís all.

For a decent ĎRound Britainí experience check out Dylan Winters ĎKeep Turning Leftí website.... thatís proper sailing.

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
    Not a good advert for a Beta 50 is it, 2 break downs in 2 episodes
    Brexit: Ďtaking backí what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Not a good advert for a Beta 50 is it, 2 break downs in 2 episodes
    You are not permitted to enter Lymington Creek without a working engine. Don’t ask me how I know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    You are not permitted to enter Lymington Creek without a working engine. Don’t ask me how I know this.
    It would be more interesting to know how you learnt that than watching the programme last night - HMS Warrior! Hardly Nelson's boat!
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    It would be more interesting to know how you learnt that than watching the programme last night - HMS Warrior! Hardly Nelson's boat!
    In the late 1970's I was crewing a friend's McGruer sloop down channel from Walton towards her new home at Portland. She had a Stuart Turner 8hp and it wasn't playing. I rashly said that I had been to Lymington and could get us in there under sail. Which we duly did, and parked nicely in the Lymington Yacht Haven marina, only to receive a truly epic bollocking from the marina management for having the effrontery to sail in, in breach of the Harbour Master's Instructions, which were unknown to us, after we had moored up without scratching anything. I bought a boat in Lymington earlier this year and the rule still applies.

In the late 1970's I was crewing a friend's McGruer sloop down channel from Walton towards her new home at Portland. She had a Stuart Turner 8hp and it wasn't playing. I rashly said that I had been to Lymington and could get us in there under sail. Which we duly did, and parked nicely in the Lymington Yacht Haven marina, only to receive a truly epic bollocking from the marina management for having the effrontery to sail in, in breach of the Harbour Master's Instructions, which were unknown to us, after we had moored up without scratching anything. I bought a boat in Lymington earlier this year and the rule still applies.
    Constrained by draught will apply to you now
    Brexit: Ďtaking backí what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

I did a RYA course out of Lymington in the early 1990's where we took the boat back into the Yacht Haven under sail with simulated engine failure. I don't recall anyone asking permission first.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Constrained by draught will apply to you now
    Yes, indeed, and in the Orwell, too. Hamford Water is looking distinctly problematic!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast