Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Britain By Boat - Tonight Channel 5 20:00- East Coast Episode

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    So the Public are "ignorant buggars"?
    Mainly yes
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quote Originally Posted by davidej View Post
    I wanted to see the bit about W Mersea so i sat through an hour of drivel.

Typical juvenile celeb stuff - I wont be watching any more.

but I suppose that is what the plebs want!
    Why must you insist on running down the viewing public. Is it because they are not yachtsmen & you think that you are an expert.?( i wonder if other yachtsmen think you are???) If one ignores the obvious technical errors to those who can recognise them the average viewer may have found it quite entertaining. That does not mean to say that they are any lower down the mental plane than the level at which you seem to have elevated yourself.

Some may well have enjoyed the chat between Seargent & Buerk. They may well have found the oyster tasting amusing. Personally I cannot stand the things but that does not mean to say it was rubbish TV.

To those that do not come from the east coast the fact that a bit of Ramsgate got mixed with Bradwell is really of little significance. The editor has made great play of sailing through the Thames estuary but what east coast sailor has not done so. I do not know many local sailors who do not think that their own turf is not the most challenging bit of coast in the entire world!!!!.So sailing through Fisherman's Gat was made to sound dangerous. There are those on this forum who laugh at that. However, there are some (In my own club included) who are s..t scared at the though of sailing through it.

So I would suggest that forumites accept that the programme is not specifically for them but the wider viewing public as well. If one ignores the editorial cock ups & views it as it is then one might ( I say might) just get to enjoy it.

There was a similar sort of programme a short while ago about model fliers re enacting the battle of Britain. I am a model flier & when i visited my club some of the fliers were highly critical. I found if one took ones modeler's hat off it became highly entertaining. The same goes for the great railway challenge. My son's father inlaw is a life long railway modeler, but as soon as one mentions the programme he will not shut up with his criticism of a very entertaining programme
    Ask yourself ( If you saw either series) If you were not railway or model plane enthusiasts, did you find the series interesting? Possibly yes. Because you knew nothing about it & could not see the errors & so they did not really matter.
    ( Now say the opposite just to prove me wrong )

My wife & I will at least give the next episode of Britain by Boat a go before we make any decision either way.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 26-11-18 at 16:32.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

if the programme had been titled:

"Two aged D list celebs making fools of themselves on a boat"

then at least we would know what we were letting ourselves in for.
    davidej

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Why must you insist on running down the viewing public. Is it because they are not yachtsmen & you think that you are an expert.?( i wonder if other yachtsmen think you are???) If one ignores the obvious technical errors to those who can recognise them the average viewer may have found it quite entertaining. That does not mean to say that they are any lower down the mental plane than the level at which you seem to have elevated yourself.
    I think that this, with your other comments is a fair enough, up to a point. I enjoy watching several of the sort of programme you mention, and most if not all are contrived to some extent. GBBO is perhaps the best-known, and possibly one of the more honest, though the scramble-to-finish editing is very irritating, and has become a broadcasting cliché. (That's nice, somebody put the accent in for me!). On the other hand, dishonest production is just another contributor to the current atmosphere of fake news and it doesn't take time or money to get things right, only intelligence from the producers and directors. Wildlife programmes have been criticised in the past but are becoming a bit better now. If they had taken you or me along to advise on filming this programme it could have been a lot better and no less entertaining.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Mainly yes
    Ignorant, as in 'rude' yes, ignorant as in 'idiots' no.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I think that this, with your other comments is a fair enough, up to a point. I enjoy watching several of the sort of programme you mention, and most if not all are contrived to some extent. GBBO is perhaps the best-known, and possibly one of the more honest, though the scramble-to-finish editing is very irritating, and has become a broadcasting cliché. (That's nice, somebody put the accent in for me!). On the other hand, dishonest production is just another contributor to the current atmosphere of fake news and it doesn't take time or money to get things right, only intelligence from the producers and directors. Wildlife programmes have been criticised in the past but are becoming a bit better now. If they had taken you or me along to advise on filming this programme it could have been a lot better and no less entertaining.
    I agree with your summary John. Whilst I cringed at points, there was an entertaining aspect to it that would appeal to the non sailor, I just wished they had gone into more explanation for the non sailor when they talked about technicalities such as tacking , so that the sailing part became more understandable and perhaps more expandable as the series developed.

GIven the way this episode was put together I do wonder if they have too many cooks as directorially it seemed more confused than the Deben entrance in a bad mood!

Let's hope the next one sorts itself out

Quote Originally Posted by RivalRedwing View Post
    They should be compilmented on their filming of Bradwell marina, I've never seen it look so attractive 😀
    Looked as attractive as , er, well...as attractive as Ramsgate!

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Mainly yes
    although once upon a time they were just ignorant...

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    although once upon a time they were just ignorant...
    Like people on here then.

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    Like people on here then.
    Pot/ kettle springs to mind
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast