Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone based in the Wash, Fosdyke , Lowestoft areas?

I live at Littleport, and Wisbech is a place I visit from time to time. Basically, though theoretically a sea-port it is a LONG way from the sea, and really only qualifies because the river is tidal that far. I'd regard being there as being on inland waterways. Furthermore, the Wash, through which you have to go to get anywhere else, is complex and shallow. I investigated King's Lynn when I thought of moving Capricious down here, but there are few if any facilities for yachts there, and the same considerations about the Wash apply. Once in the Wash, there are few ports - within the Wash, Wisbech, Lynn and Boston are about it. Northwards there's nothing until you get to Grimsby; eastwards it's Wells (with a shallow, tidal entrance) and then Lowestoft. Once south of Lowestoft the choices proliferate.

I ended up at Titchmarsh Marina; further to drive, but infinitely more potential sailing!

Thanks to both...the Wash area is rapidly losing its appeal...

[QUOTE=Old Bumbulum;6620715]Greenble, I'm not sure why you need to correct me so curtly, you said it was an hourly service. It isn't. [QUOTE]
    Touchy?

Sorry, but I merely gave a minor correction to your partial information.
    Not sure why you want to take it so personally - Note, I'm using no italics

I have a boat on the Broads, which I take through the lock and out to sea - I don't find it such a great problem.
    Not enough that I'd want to pay higher mooring fees elsewhere, anyway.

You clearly would not want to moor your boat in Lowestoft, but I thought it was a decision for the OP.

[QUOTE=Old Bumbulum]imo those short term tolls are pretty fierce.[QUOTE]
    Yes, they certainly are. Likely they do want to put off short term visits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace Hansen
    Don't be afraid that your life may end -
    Be more afraid that it may never begin

Oh dear! I stand corrected then! But have it your own way. I gather you must...
    It might bear consideration that as a river based (motor?)boater your requirements and aspirations differ considerably from those of sea sailors...
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 29-11-18 at 23:01.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Once in the Wash, there are few ports . . . eastwards it's Wells (with a shallow, tidal entrance) and then Lowestoft.
    You missed out Great Yarmouth!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    You missed out Great Yarmouth!
    Yes, I did, but it seems to be discounted as a yachting harbour by most people!

Yes, I did, but it seems to be discounted as a yachting harbour by most people!
    That was the basis of my (intended) little joke.

Old Bumblebum gives a good description of the harbour and town, but if I might correct a few errors:.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post
    Suffice to say the outer harbour which is big enough to hold 5,000 yachts I imagine has lain derelict and virtually unused ever since. (I think the odd jackup has been parked there on occasion)
    I think you are mistaken. It is used by various craft, in addition to the jack-up vessels (I think there were 4 there at once), and it is used for loading wind turbines onto construction vessels.

There are no facilities for resident yachts but visitors can moor up to the rather forbidding wall by the town hall just downstream from the Victorian age Haven lift bridge.
    Stop Press! Update: the Victorian bridge was replaced in 1930!

It is, in short, a scandalously wasted opportunity to revitalise a rather run down town. Local opinion has it that the Labour dominated council will not spend a penny to do anything to help the kind of bloated capitalist filth who own yachts...Just a couple of floating pontoons on that wall would transform the experience.

I agree that it's a terribly wasted opportunity, for the sake of a couple of pontoons, etc., but the Council has been Conservative controlled, previously Conservative/UKIP, for some years.

It is not quite as grim there as it was, though: opposite the Town Quay is the Star Hotel, which was closed and boarded up for some time, but has now been refurbished and reopened, and appears a decent place for a drink or meal. A couple of hundred yards downstream is a decent restaurant/bistro called the Quayside Plaza. There are four or five good museums within a few hundred yards. The Lydia Eva (last steam trawler ?), moored on the Town Quay, is very much worth visiting. (If you ask nicely, and slip them a few quid, they might let you moor alongside to avoid the dreaded Town Quay wall.)

Bridges to the broads are available on request - they expect a booking the day before and council workers turn out to open the Haven bridge which causes havoc with the traffic.

I think you'll find it is harbour authority (Peel Ports) workers, not Council, operating the bridge. Another opening bridge ( the 'Third River Crossing' is due to be built downstream of Haven Bridge within the next few years, and I understand it will have waiting pontoons (but unconnected to the shore).

There is clearly no point in offering help or advice here, given the anal and ludicrously pernickety OCD style criticism some seem to enjoy posting.
    Sad, sad little-minded people.
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 30-11-18 at 17:31.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Old Bumblebum gives a good description of the harbour and town, but if I might correct a few errors:.
    It would appear we are not allowed...

@Old Bumblebum
    No, not a motor boater. Mine's a sailing yacht.
    If you give advice based on your opinion, then you can expect it to be corrected by those that know what is actual.
    Most of us here do the same, but don't get upset by it - usually preferring to know what we have wrong.
    Last edited by Greemble; 30-11-18 at 21:04. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace Hansen
    Don't be afraid that your life may end -
    Be more afraid that it may never begin

I live at Littleport, and Wisbech is a place I visit from time to time. Basically, though theoretically a sea-port it is a LONG way from the sea, and really only qualifies because the river is tidal that far. I'd regard being there as being on inland waterways. Furthermore, the Wash, through which you have to go to get anywhere else, is complex and shallow. I investigated King's Lynn when I thought of moving Capricious down here, but there are few if any facilities for yachts there, and the same considerations about the Wash apply. Once in the Wash, there are few ports - within the Wash, Wisbech, Lynn and Boston are about it. Northwards there's nothing until you get to Grimsby; eastwards it's Wells (with a shallow, tidal entrance) and then Lowestoft. Once south of Lowestoft the choices proliferate.

I ended up at Titchmarsh Marina; further to drive, but infinitely more potential sailing!
    +1

I spent 3 seasons at Wells and wintered at Fosdyke, and the above is entirely correct. This season I relocated to the Orwell, and I have had more hours on the water than the last 3 seasons combined.

At least when the weather is rough there is lots of good sailing to be had in the Orwell/Stour and other sheltered destinations only an hour away, and the same goes for Titmarsh etc.

I will not be moving back the The Wash any time soon.
    1976 Westerly Centaur, GEMINI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast