Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: The restoration of PS Ryde.

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    It would be interesting to know how much of the original Waverley still exists in the present hull.
    Not really a question you're supposed to ask in the world of classics! Unlike aircraft and cars I strongly suspect you're right and there's a fair bit of original Waverley left in the Waverley.

That article did make me chuckle 'owns a ship restoration company'..... She made a lot of noise about restoring another ship, the Tuxedo Royale' up north, but the venture failed.

There is not a ship restoration company in any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    Not really a question you're supposed to ask in the world of classics! Unlike aircraft and cars I strongly suspect you're right and there's a fair bit of original Waverley left in the Waverley.
    I remember helping my Dad on the volunteer bits of the Waverley restoration when I was a kid, and it's been through an awful lot of work since. So apart from multiple boiler and steam parts replacement on the engine, many (all?) replaced hull plates and frames during the years, replacement over time of almost all the woodwork, especially floorboards and paddles then I think it is largely original.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    I remember helping my Dad on the volunteer bits of the Waverley restoration when I was a kid, and it's been through an awful lot of work since. So apart from multiple boiler and steam parts replacement on the engine, many (all?) replaced hull plates and frames during the years, replacement over time of almost all the woodwork, especially floorboards and paddles then I think it is largely original.

What are you plans for this afternoon? Standing outside a primary school shouting "Father Christmas doesn't exist"?

()

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    That article did make me chuckle 'owns a ship restoration company'..... She made a lot of noise about restoring another ship, the Tuxedo Royale' up north, but the venture failed.

There is not a ship restoration company in any sense.
    Reminds me of the plot from 'The Producers'.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Even in my youth there were I'm sure paddlewheel tugs in Portsmouth, I don't think I dreamt it...

https://portsmouthdockyard.org.uk/ti...ddle-wheel-tug
    They were certainly in use in the late 1950s early 1960s. I remember them helping berth ships I was in, ie Victorious and Gambia

There were also steam puffers there, VIC boats.
    "Anybody competent enough to deliver Brexit wouldn’t."

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    Wouldn't it be a great deal cheaper just to get the lines and build from scratch? If they do succeed in funding surely there's nothing usable left in the original structure? Yes by all means take anything usable they can, then just scrap what's left. It's what they will have to do anyway.

Whatever they do it will not be the old Ryde I used to go on as a youth, just a replica. Unlike Waverley who has retained her Identity as a functioning ship throughout,. It would be interesting to know how much of the original Waverley still exists in the present hull. Probably quite a bit, unlike anything in the Ryde which will be too far gone to be usable.
    Old Harry, when I used to go aboard, the engine was still there, I believe in entirety; I have no idea if it's still in the wreck, I suspect if it had been removed they wouldn't have been too fussy and there'd be signs of it going.

I agree the only possible rvival would be a replica, and like others I'm not convinced there's much demand for trundling around on a paddle steamer anyway.

A replica of HMS Kelly, while rather more involved, I'd pay handsomely for a go on !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345