Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Fife
    Posts
    945

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbroom View Post
    Wow, you must have a big boat to need 3 heaters!��
    No, my modest boat is fully Eber'd up with the genuine articles.
    Of the Chinese ones the first is in my shed/workshop, another is in the motorhome and the third is as yet still in its box.
    To be honest I probably would have bought Planars instead of Chinese ones but their inability to run on kerosene ruled them out for me.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Medway
    Posts
    19,209

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    Just a tip , go to trouble of purchasing sufficent extra 100 mm ducting to provide a cold air feed to your new heater from outside of the boat.
    My heater is located in lazerette right next to engine compartment with several limber holes and control cable holes in bulkhead.
    Was fortunately easily able to source fresh air from an external locker during installation, however , while doing some other work disconnected the cold air pipe.to heater inlet , almost immediatly on start up you could dectect that familar whiff present on many boats of diese/oil/ bilges in the warm air coming from vents.
    This does seem to eventually permeate throughout the interior of many boats.
    Presumably the heater was sucking such vast quantities of air that it was creating a vacuum thoughout entire hull including the engine compartment. My engines are not in the first flush of youth .
    Reattaching the external pipe,instantly provided whiff free warm air. again .
    Last edited by oldgit; 02-12-18 at 08:59.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    4,931

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    I clicked the buy it now button on eBay yesterday from a UK seller based in Liverpool. It says delivery in about a week.

    I will let this thread know if what arrives is correct, complete and undamaged.

    I will be fitting this is a void area under my side deck on the Corvette, directly next to the main cabin. Rather than dragging in cold air from the outside I owl prefer to have a return hose from the cabin on the main vent warmed air flow system. The combustion air will have a separate external feed skin fitting well away from the exhaust outlet, or I could draw combustion air from the engine room, which would provide additional engine room ventilation.

    Any reason not to do either of these things ?

    I intend to use the supplied tank and run it on kerosene. My last Eber D4 smelt sweeter and cleaner running on kero, and as these Chinese are essentially copies I assume these will work OK on kero too.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    I clicked the buy it now button on eBay yesterday from a UK seller based in Liverpool. It says delivery in about a week.

    I will let this thread know if what arrives is correct, complete and undamaged.

    I will be fitting this is a void area under my side deck on the Corvette, directly next to the main cabin. Rather than dragging in cold air from the outside I owl prefer to have a return hose from the cabin on the main vent warmed air flow system. The combustion air will have a separate external feed skin fitting well away from the exhaust outlet, or I could draw combustion air from the engine room, which would provide additional engine room ventilation.

    Any reason not to do either of these things ?

    I intend to use the supplied tank and run it on kerosene. My last Eber D4 smelt sweeter and cleaner running on kero, and as these Chinese are essentially copies I assume these will work OK on kero too.
    Can I pop along to see it when you've finished Trev. I can then learn from you mistaks!!!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    up on the moors.
    Posts
    33,021

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    I must admit to a certain amount of concern if you are going to provide intake air for the heater from warm air already in the boat. I can see the the thermal advantages but the idea of recycling interior air on a repeat basis makes me wonder if you could be feeding air with a depleted oxygen level into the heater intake, which is a bit of recipe for a CO problem bcs of incomplete combustion ?

    It is rather like changing the air intake on your car's heating system form external to internal. It's OK for a short while to avoid smoke from a fire or a dirty lorry, but if you drive any distance with the selector on internal, you soon get a very muzzy head..


    Somewhere in your system you need an intake from outside, but are there any small heat exchangers you can introduce to warm the external air from cabin air ? Heat recovery is great for economy, but not at the expense of recycling used air. Or perhaps I have misunderstood your description of proposed intake source(s) ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,993

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    I clicked the buy it now button on eBay yesterday from a UK seller based in Liverpool. It says delivery in about a week.

    I will let this thread know if what arrives is correct, complete and undamaged.

    I will be fitting this is a void area under my side deck on the Corvette, directly next to the main cabin. Rather than dragging in cold air from the outside I owl prefer to have a return hose from the cabin on the main vent warmed air flow system. The combustion air will have a separate external feed skin fitting well away from the exhaust outlet, or I could draw combustion air from the engine room, which would provide additional engine room ventilation.

    Any reason not to do either of these things ?

    I intend to use the supplied tank and run it on kerosene. My last Eber D4 smelt sweeter and cleaner running on kero, and as these Chinese are essentially copies I assume these will work OK on kero too.
    Shouldn't be a problem, most people on the facebook group are running on recirculated air.
    My combustion air is drawn from the engine bay, there isn't enough flow to make any significant difference to engine room ventilation, but I haven't had any issue with it and can't really see that there would be. There certainly shouldn't be any depleted air in there I wouldn't have thought?
    They reportedly run hotter and cleaner on kerosene although mine didn't show any measurable difference, being perfectly happy on either red diesel or kerosene.
    I would strongly recommend sourcing a spare glow pin, it does seem to be a weak area, mine failed very early on. Ali express sell a D4 copy which looks virtually identical to an original for around 17, I've had no issues at all since swapping mine out.
    I also swapped the basic rotary controller for the rather flashy LCD version which is a lot better if you're easily impressed by animated graphics and flashing lights (like me.) This also caused some heater envy during a recent club cruise!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    1,672

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    I clicked the buy it now button on eBay yesterday from a UK seller based in Liverpool. It says delivery in about a week.

    I will let this thread know if what arrives is correct, complete and undamaged.

    I will be fitting this is a void area under my side deck on the Corvette, directly next to the main cabin. Rather than dragging in cold air from the outside I owl prefer to have a return hose from the cabin on the main vent warmed air flow system. The combustion air will have a separate external feed skin fitting well away from the exhaust outlet, or I could draw combustion air from the engine room, which would provide additional engine room ventilation.

    Any reason not to do either of these things ?

    I intend to use the supplied tank and run it on kerosene. My last Eber D4 smelt sweeter and cleaner running on kero, and as these Chinese are essentially copies I assume these will work OK on kero too.
    I fitted my heater in a void which has vents into the engine room which, obviously, has lots of ventilation to the outside so in effect both the cabin air intake and combustion air intake is via the engine room. Could you do this?

    I recommend you do not have a recirculation heating system as this will add to condensation. Taking the main air intake from the outside actually dries out the cabin making it much more comfortable.

    Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Gareloch
    Posts
    3,750

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    To draw in fresh air or recycle cabin air?

    My Eber is located under the cabin sole, just aft of the engine. I have a short length of 100mm flexible ducting on the inlet turned through 90deg, through the engine box, so that it draw air from the foot of the quarter berth. The advantages of doing this are twofold. The boat heats up significantly quicker and the quarter berth, notorious for lacking ventilation and a breeding ground for mold and damp, gets a change of air.
    Stale air gets drawn out of the dorade vents and is replaced by fresh air coming in through the always cracked open hatch.
    Depending on the starting temperature my Eber will throttle back to near silent, low current draw, fuel sipping mode within 15 to 20 minutes of firing up.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chichester
    Posts
    400

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    Plum - Does this mean that any leaks in your engine or heater exhaust systems may lead to those gases being pushed into the cabin by the heater, or have I misinterpreted?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    1,672

    Default Re: Generic Warm air Heaters Tale .A story so Far.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbican View Post
    Plum - Does this mean that any leaks in your engine or heater exhaust systems may lead to those gases being pushed into the cabin by the heater, or have I misinterpreted?
    You are right and I appreciate your point but have followed the Eber marine installation guide and have installed the same as Beneteau did when they installed in production on this boat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to