Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pondfish 17-11-18, 09:42

Disappointing to see no posts since this last one about Watchet

It would be a shame for this Bristol Channel forum to die a death
    See the rainbow not the rain

Default Re: pondfish 17-11-18, 09:42

I know what you mean I was disopointed to see no replys from my post ref Watchet

I could tell you that my boat is ashore, sans mast and cuddled up for the duration, but I didn’t think anyone would be interested. I will be on the forum after I have scraped 39 years worth of antifoul off and be asking about advice on Coppercoating.

Wanted to know how the mud removal is going with the new system (airators)

We stay afloat over the winter and have enjoyed a few pleasant days, aiming to go up to Bristol next weekend to troll around the Christmas markets, eat a bratwurst bad sup some German beer

Anyone know if there are any moorings available or are they full of wintering narrow boats?

Aeration was a trial, and from what I have read, just ‘drilled’ holes in the mud. The top meter depth of mud is gooey, then it gets progressively thicker as you go deeper, then rock hard. It’s called self-compaction.
    The marina are building their own water injection dredger, very similar to the one in Cardiff. This will be for regular maintenance dredging. However it is likely that a large full scale dredge will be required first (at someone’s expense).
    The old dredger is out of use due to legal/ political issues.

Thanks for the feedback,
    I agree it do need a full dredge out but who will pay???.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneds View Post
    Disappointing to see no posts since this last one about Watchet

It would be a shame for this Bristol Channel forum to die a death
    I don't think there should be any problem with the forum being closed. If you look below there are some which have not been added to for months.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew.

I have a nosey every week at the forum, see if there's anything new .

Was quite interested in the Watchet situation too... but it looks quite sad. I've struggled to keep my engine temperature down, and now I've finally done it, I don't fancy dunking the leg into mud. Laugh it off, but when you think the engine is on fire... stood on 150L of petrol... yeah, not happy about getting mud in my cooling system.

Might as well ramble... give anybody bored enough something to read ....

We're already looking at our next boat. We're in a 21" mobo currently (see YouTube links in my signature). It's a damn great boat now we've mostly figured it out (locking in/out is no longer something we fear... docking is mostly ok if winds are not too bad - in which case I'm sure the marina would be ok with us parking elsewhere temporarily). But yeah... 21" and petrol is juuuust not quite enough for the Brizzle Channel.

It'll be 2 years from now until we switch (I want another season to ensure we still have a drive for this boating lark, plus make sure we know enough not to lose a significant amount of cash). But gotta think ahead, right?

I'm thinking a Princess 30DS Flybridge like this: >>> Boatshed Link <<<

Pros: twin engine, diesel, 9m, flybridge, 6 berth, tender-without-paddles possible, 590L tank, increased range (2x our existing 6.5m+150L?), pretty cheap.
    Cons: no bow thruster (higher sides = more vulnerable to gusts in locks), 2 engines to maintain + 30% increase in marina fees, cheap = needs fixing?, new boat new problems (we now trust existing one after tons of maintenance and upgrades)

What would you guys/gals recommend as our next boat? It'll be 2 years off at least, and I imagine < £30k (could potentially go to £60k, but not confident we'd make enough use of it).

I'm even considering... god forbid... doing a few sailing lessons come summer... to keep my options open. I still dream of 5 years from now, becoming a raggie, quitting the job, buy a £40k sailboat, point it towards the med and never return. But we all dream .
    Last edited by vodzurk; 12-12-18 at 10:55. Reason: tarting up
    YouTube: Gorjus Boating
    Boat: Sealine 195

Sail boat? I to have toyed with the idea but the thought of a 4 hour trip home from Cardiff in the cold puts me off :-)
    At least with SeaKist, if it's cold we can drive from inside with the heating on and get a wiggle on!
    In the summer driving from up top, ie the Flybridge is great and believe me it is a lot easier to park this 36ft Flybridge than it was our beloved (actually quite miss it) 28ft sports cruiser, BushBaby

Take the plunge, go for a Flybridge, open up a whole new type of boating ......... Warm and comfy, proper bed and loo(s), a kitchen or galley, shower, tv and audio, shall I go on?

Sold yet?

You, on the idea that is not our boat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast