Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: Good Value Boat heaters

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird30ds View Post
    I would be wary about the silencer unless in an open position as it looks spot welded in the piccie and won't be fully sealed, interesting translation for the fuel tank....
    I will set it up in the shed/workshop first to see how it operates and give it a decent test. Might be possible to run in some solder on the silencer to make sure it is sealed.

I must say I think the world has been ripped off somewhat with the main stream brands that were previously available
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Interested in how you get on plumbs.

Are you going to use the 10 litre fuel tank or come off the boat tank? I think most issues with these on boats are fuel related. Might be good to use the small tank with white diesel?

Are you going to get a marine exhaust hull outlet?

How long do you think the air outlet tubing runs can be?

Post Re: Good Value Boat heaters

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post

Are you going to use the 10 litre fuel tank or come off the boat tank? I think most issues with these on boats are fuel related. Might be good to use the small tank with white diesel?

When I set it up on the bench I will use the supplied tank and to keep things simple and to be able to spot any issues I think I will probably use this supplied tank on the boat as well.
    It will be dependant on the space to fit the tank. I like the idea of it being completely separate from my engine fuel.

I will be fitting it in a Sealine S24 and I will indeed get the hull SS exhaust fitting £39 on ebay.

On the S24 I will run one hot air outlet to under the stairs in the main cabin and a second one into the upper 'tent' cabin location to be decided. The S24 is a small boat and I think that will be enough. I plan to draw the inlet air from near the heater (which will be in the engine bay) in the upper 'tent' cabin so as not to suck in any smells from the engine bay.

Exhaust will again be near the heater to the SS fitting on the outside of the hull.

I suspect I will have to buy some extra pipe and indeed insulation for the pipework and a Y junction for the 2 outlets. I think however I should be able to get all materials including the heater etc for about £200. I will fit it myself and part of the reason for buying it is because I like a little project.

I looked at the mainstream products like this last year and felt that they were way way overpriced for what they did and I also suspected we would not actually use it that much.

At this price and if it is ok I think it is worth a go and any boat is more appealing if it has heating when away from the pontoon

Hopefully it will be ok but if not it is not much money wasted and the holes I will have to drill are not that significant and the fittings over the holes can be left in place. I suspect all the fittings are interchangeable with the main stream units.

From memory and as a comparison I was quoted £2700 for a mainstream one fitted in place last year !!!

Dennis
    Last edited by Bigplumbs; 04-12-18 at 15:32.

Sounds great. Please post links to the additional parts you find that work with it if you don’t mind.

Best of luck!

I am running mine on kerosene, aka heating oil, aka 28sec oil. Allegedly runs hotter and cleaner, as many report sooting up problems on diesel. You can control the fan and the fuel pump independently on the chinaspachers, so if sooting occurs you have room to adjust it out. So far mine has run fine on factory settings, but only clocked up about 12 hours so far.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    I am running mine on kerosene, aka heating oil, aka 28sec oil. Allegedly runs hotter and cleaner, as many report sooting up problems on diesel. You can control the fan and the fuel pump independently on the chinaspachers, so if sooting occurs you have room to adjust it out. So far mine has run fine on factory settings, but only clocked up about 12 hours so far.
    What’s the consumption....interested how long 10 litres would last?

What’s the consumption....interested how long 10 litres would last?
    Don't know the answer to that one but on the YouTube tests I think 10 ltrs will last ages

Dennis

Just googled. Planar 44d which is 4kw.

0.12-0.49 litre per hour.

I've been thinking along similar lines, as these units seem very cheap / good value.
    As vas suggested, despite having three reverse cycle air con units on board, which to be honest I find a bit noisy, something like this could be really useful in colder weather. The other advantage to me would be being able to program it to run twice a day say, to keep the overall temp in the boat at a sensible level throughout the winter, whether we're on board or not.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    I must say I think the world has been ripped off somewhat with the main stream brands that were previously available
    Not sure what all the R & D costs were to those that first produced diesel heaters but I would say it was significantly more than it was for the Chinese factory that just copied one, not sure how they get away with.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast