Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940 LastLast

Default Re: Good Value Boat heaters

Mine has been running all day in my workshop today. Fired straight up, having not been used since the end of last winter. Now entering its third winter and it has never failed to fire up first time and never give a single problem so far.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

I am hoping to install one of these heaters and document it in the practical section.
    Question I do have - it is recommended to buy better quality parts if you purchase a Chinese heater.
    Is it the same scenario with getting better parts with the Russian planar version?
    Jon

Buy the cheap heater then chuck all the jubilee clips, and the exhaust pipe and silencer that come with it. Spend some money on eber or webasto bits to replace the discarded items. Iíve just done this with guidance from others more wise than me, total spend is around £280. Still far better value imho !!
    Donít forget outlet pipe insulation (not cheap at £15 per 750mm ) and fibre glass exhaust pipe wrapping !!
    Iíve also purchased a digital controller and a gsm remote text operated unit so I can text the machine when Iím on my way so the boat and screen is nicely warmed and defrosted on my arrival !!

Yup, as above, hose clips and exhaust need to go, lots of people seem to swap out the fuel lines too but I found mine were fine (I don't use a silencer.)
    Also well worth getting a glow plug, alibaba do an Eber' copy for around £20 that looks identical to an original. I would recommend changing it before you fit the heater, but if not, certainly well worth having one on standby.

I'm not aware that any parts need changing out on a genuine planar, verdict is that they're perfectly good quality straight out of the box.

Fuel filter is another thing to change. Mine has been fine in my static installation, but have heard of a few cracking/leaking in more mobile units.

In fact, as mine is not on a boat, the only thing I changed is the hose clamps. I have even used the flimsy exhaust hose and it has held up well so far.
    Last edited by CLB; 12-11-19 at 12:48.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by NDB View Post
    Buy the cheap heater then chuck all the jubilee clips, and the exhaust pipe and silencer that come with it. Spend some money on eber or webasto bits to replace the discarded items. Iíve just done this with guidance from others more wise than me, total spend is around £280. Still far better value imho !!
    Donít forget outlet pipe insulation (not cheap at £15 per 750mm ) and fibre glass exhaust pipe wrapping !!
    Iíve also purchased a digital controller and a gsm remote text operated unit so I can text the machine when Iím on my way so the boat and screen is nicely warmed and defrosted on my arrival !!
    So basically the Russian one is no better than the Chinese one?
    Jon

I donít know about the Russian one !

Quote Originally Posted by jon and michie View Post
    So basically the Russian one is no better than the Chinese one?
    Jon
    I have no direct experience but I understand the plus point for the Russian unit is its pedigree of development for reliable use from a very very cold country. Not so long ago it was viewed as inferior, and then about 18 months ago the Chinese ones received similar disdain. The Chinese ones are simply backwards engineered Eber D4s.

I wonder if anyone is spending 10 times the price for a previously price fixed Eberspacher or Webasto unit anymore. If you are worried about spares then just buy two.

The Russian unit does have at least two UK trade suppliers one of whom is a member on these forum, who is well spoken of. I think the trade has avoided professional installation of the Chinese units likely due to concerns with professional liabilities. I expect some folk will be offering this service soon, if not already.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    I have no direct experience but I understand the plus point for the Russian unit is its pedigree of development for reliable use from a very very cold country. Not so long ago it was viewed as inferior, and then about 18 months ago the Chinese ones received similar disdain. The Chinese ones are simply backwards engineered Eber D4s.

I wonder if anyone is spending 10 times the price for a previously price fixed Eberspacher or Webasto unit anymore. If you are worried about spares then just buy two.

The Russian unit does have at least two UK trade suppliers one of whom is a member on these forum, who is well spoken of. I think the trade has avoided professional installation of the Chinese units likely due to concerns with professional liabilities. I expect some folk will be offering this service soon, if not already.
    I am just wondering as you said there is 2 uk dealers but on the parts included bit apart from the hull fitting which is included in the russian version is the exhaust piping and extras better than the chinese one.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jon and michie View Post
    I am just wondering as you said there is 2 uk dealers but on the parts included bit apart from the hull fitting which is included in the russian version is the exhaust piping and extras better than the chinese one.

Jon
    I have no direct experience of the Planar heater, sorry. Just aware there are at least two UK suppliers. I do know the Chinese exhaust pipe is awful. I had a length of Eber that I used as it was effectively free.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940 LastLast