Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Default Re: Good Value Boat heaters

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    P, what clause in your insurance policy do you think fitting your own heater would fall foul of?
    Pete dare you ask Y ?.

somthing along the lines of ——

“ would I still be covered for a claim to do with fire and / or fumes particularly to settle a PI resulting from me (DIY ) fitting this [ insert link ] .For clarity it’s not got any approved testing marks .”

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Pete dare you ask Y ?.

somthing along the lines of ——

“ would I still be covered for a claim to do with fire and / or fumes particularly to settle a PI resulting from me (DIY ) fitting this [ insert link ] .For clarity it’s not got any approved testing marks .”
    Nope, I'm not asking them. But, these are what I believe are the relevant terms...

1.3 You must maintain the Vessel for the use intended.
    1.4 You must not make any commitment on Our behalf without Our prior agreement.
    1.5 The Vessel and the manner in which it is used or operated must comply with all statutory and local regulations or licencing conditions, as are applicable.

So the questions for me are...

1) Is the heater CE Marked. If it isn't then it shouldn't be sold in the UK / EU.
    2) Does the fitting of an illegal heater contravene 1.5.

I think it’s about taking reasonable steps as a responsible owner from an insurance standpoint.

You buy a unit from a UK supplier with all the protections that there are supposed to be with that in terms of quality/compliance.

You install yourself and get a local BSS inspector or similar to check the install and document it meets their requirements.

How much further can an insurance company expect someone to reasonably go?

If the unit turns out to not meet the requirements it should for selling in the UK, that’s not your fault.

I’m not saying I would buy any old crap and would obviously look for reviews from others but the principles above are the same whether spending £100 or £1000 imho.

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    I think it’s about taking reasonable steps as a responsible owner from an insurance standpoint.
    Yes

If the unit turns out to not meet the requirements it should for selling in the UK, that’s not your fault.
    It is at least arguable that wouldn't hold if for example an uncertified product was sourced over the internet from outside the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    It is at least arguable that wouldn't hold if for example an uncertified product was sourced over the internet from outside the EU.
    I get that however, I buy a heater off EBay from a seller listed as being in Liverpool and the advert may even say “UK seller”.....how much further do I reasonably have to go?

If I’m buying direct from an obvious Chinese source like www. Dodgydieselheatersthatwillcatchfire.cn......fair enough.

Personally....I think buying one of these and fitting one yourself is a pretty straightforward affair and can be done safely with a bit of common sense. I do understand the insurance concerns and a few bits of paper of ce conformity and install is ok can’t hurt. Not like they want to payout is it.

I still struggling with the concept of cannot be legally sold with the fact they are being legally sold. Not quite sure how that all works

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    Did you not read where I said I was going to test it on the bench in the workshop...……. Just incase you are confused that workshop is not in my boat as my boat is not that big..... Where have you got the evidence that the electrics are fake and what does that even mean...….. Have you been listening to Trump too much
    Are you qualified to test it ?
    Take the unit to trading standards & ask them to get their experts to check it out, if its OK you can come back here & tell us, if not you may end up saving someones life !

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    As a side issue and it really is a side issue I wonder if a reputable ,registered , qualified, ( bullit proof in the eyes of the law ) engineer would instal one of theses .Answer is NO .As it’s his cock on the block in a court room drama
    Existing Eber/Web suppliers have already installed Planar heaters.

fitting one yourself is a pretty straightforward affair and can be done safely with a bit of common sense. I do understand the insurance concerns and a few bits of paper of ce conformity and install is ok can’t hurt. Not like they want to payout is it.

Though some of thread is almost as entertaining as the fast show.

Last edited by Elecglitch; 06-12-18 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I still struggling with the concept of cannot be legally sold with the fact they are being legally sold. Not quite sure how that all works
    I'm no expert on this but the way I've always thought it was "cannot legally be sold in the UK" but what's stopping you buying one in China and shipping it over? Enter Ebay.

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast