Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Diesel engine room blowers

Interesting thread. I would have thought fans sucking in would be about keeping engine room cool if you're pootling around at low rpm. At high rpm with engine on boost, I would have thought air would be replaced as quick as engine consumes it, as long as there's no restriction on the engine bay intakes.

At sea level remember air pressure is 14.7psi, so it will force its way in to engine room as the engine consumes air.

Air pressure at work

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post

Thank you for the pm link to the temp data logger. What a great piece of kit for no money. You should post it up here, I am sure others may find it useful too
    Please post a link to those temp data loggers.
    I am currently looking into the Hunton engine bay temps and trying to get more air in and also have some vents in the stern to actually create a bit of airflow in the engine bay,

Last time out on the boat (UK based) I ran for a bit the the engine bay (sunpad Lid ) closed, then I ran for some time with the hatch open by about 1 -2 inches, I actually noticed that doing this the engine temps dropped by a few degrees.

Assasin pointed me to these which will help me to see what is happening. They are programmable.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/data-loggers/4666115/

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Not trying to argue but our batteries are in the engine rooms, engine and generator start - no house batteries as always on generator or shore power. They're not vented separately. Our big engines (relative to most leisure craft) will run without fans on albeit hotter. I'm inclined to suggest unless the engine room is air right the engines will draw air through any opening to the outside and the fans are there primarily for cooling.

W.
    I wouldn't disagree with that PW and as already stated it depends upon many factors, some of which you have highlighted so no arguments at all, just an interesting debate with many good issues raised and pojnts made.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

I would expect they are Bruce as petrol vapours are volatile and any leaks of fuel will turn into an explosive mixture in air; you can look them up if your fans have their makers name plate and model numbers on them and check their specifications online usually.

You're welcome for the link.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Ocqueteau 8.15,200hpNanni.
    Buster Sun R,25 hp outboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345