Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Day Shapes

Lightbulb Day Shapes

Probably a bit of a daft question as I know know that day shapes are not widely used by many these days. In all my years of sailing, I was taught to hoist the black ball shape when at anchor during the day. My understanding is that the same rule applies to motor boats, but how do you practically display an anchor ball on a motor vessel. All the shapes at chandlers appear to be designed for hoisting on a halyard.

Default Re: Day Shapes

On one boat recently we hoisted the anchor ball by attaching it to a long boat hook and clipping that aloft with some bungies

Attachment 74667
    Like this .
    Attachment 74668
    Made a hardwood clamp for a fwd bow cleat .

Great idea, thanks

Thanks. Looks like a very professional job. I assumed it had to be high up, never thought of having it on the deck.

Anchor balls are widely used in med. it’s Brit boaters who don’t use them . Mine is on a carbon fibre tube that clicks into a socket at the bow but there are many ways to skin this cat

Last edited by jfm; 07-12-18 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzyfm View Post
    Thanks. Looks like a very professional job. I assumed it had to be high up, never thought of having it on the deck.
    Actually, as I understood from a former navy officer, the anchor ball should be hoisted above the point where the anchor chain goes down in the water - i.e. at the tip of the bow, typically.
    I don't think that the height matters a lot, as long as it's well visible, of course.
    Anyway, as jfm said, you can find different ways to skin this cat on a mobo.
    If by chance yours has a raised guard rail at the bow (like mine does, as well as another well known forum boat visible in the background), you can use it as below.
    Though that's an arrangement which was more popular among some old school Italian builders - not very common these days.

There’s nothing in IRPCS about having the anchor ball above the chain. Was this ‘ex naval officer’ a long retired engineering officer perhaps?

The rule just says ‘in the fore part where it is best seen’.

Anchored vessels and vessels aground.
    (a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:

(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;

(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level that the light prescribed in paragraph (i), an all-round white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.
    Last edited by john_morris_uk; 08-12-18 at 06:24.
    Semper aliud

I have a short rail-mount flagpole from Force4 at the bow, the ball shape can be clipped to it using a small spring carabiner.

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    There’s nothing in IRPCS about having the anchor ball above the chain. Was this ‘ex naval officer’ a long retired engineering officer perhaps?
    The rule just says ‘in the fore part where it is best seen’.
    Well, retired he is, but after a whole life spent in bridges of naval units, his last command being on an air defence destroyer, if that matters.
    Though I for one disagree with your hint that the competence of engineering officers ends when they close the e/r door behind them.

Regardless, maybe mentioning the anchor chain was simply his way to explain to a sunday boater like myself the logic why the ball is supposed to be hoisted "in the fore part where it is best seen", considering that the practical difference is as close to nothing as it can be.
    In fact, if you don't mind me calling a spade a spade, your comment strikes me as an attempt to dismiss someone else's view by saying exactly the same thing in a semantically more appropriate way, with no added value whatsoever and for reasons that I can't understand.

In a nutshell, Dazzyfm "assumed it had to be high up", and I replied that it's correct to place it at the bow.
    Now, remind me what your point is, exactly...
    Last edited by MapisM; 08-12-18 at 14:36.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast