Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Old Half tonner performance

Half tonners around now for 6-10k and many re-rigged with swept back spreaders so no runner antics required.
    For some cheap and cheerful offshore racing is there anything not to like? I'm thinking the later ones from 80s onwards so avoiding the worst of IOR. e.g. MG HS30

I'm interested in how they perform...there seems to be a resurgence, particularly in Ireland for getting these and then tarting them up for the half ton classics, and some have had very substantial amounts of money invested in them.

This for instance:
    http://www.corby-yachts.com/checkmate.html

Yay or nay?

Default Re: Old Half tonner performance

Friend has a Half Tonner which I am non-regular crew and they compete with the Checkmates (there are two of these modified HT's). As an example the top boats all run North 3DL's which are ~'north' of eur25k for a set I believe so they are not a cheap boat to run, good craic however.

Good boat, better sails, don't worry about highly polished furniture, have fun; sounds like the ideal formula to me, but have a photographer standing by in a rib and harnesses on when you fly the kite in fresh winds.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

There is a bit of a resurgence over the last decade or so. There can be good competitive racing and a good atmosphere.

https://halftonclassicscup.com/

And getting rid of the checks & runners helps the IRC rating too.

How they go seems to be a bit hit and miss... The Quokka guys have gone down the half ton route (actually returned to, as he bought his old half tonner back!) But despite that crew's undoubted talent and the fact that they're sailing a boat he had built in the first place and has spent a fair amount optimising recently, the results so far are not really what we've come to expect of the Quokka name.
    You never know, I might be right!

What about a Limbo 9.9 as an alternative...rating seems very high though, I wonder if it can sail to it.

Rather lightly built, I wouldn't fancy it as a man and wife weekender - though entirely feasible, I just don't think it ideal - as a lads' and ladesses' fun racing machine with the chance of crashing out on a bunk I'd think it rather hard to beat.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    How they go seems to be a bit hit and miss... The Quokka guys have gone down the half ton route (actually returned to, as he bought his old half tonner back!) But despite that crew's undoubted talent and the fact that they're sailing a boat he had built in the first place and has spent a fair amount optimising recently, the results so far are not really what we've come to expect of the Quokka name.
    We found it useful to have someone on board who had raced IOR the first time around. Sometimes you have to get out of the IRC way of thinking. Sailing dead downwind under the kite for example.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    We found it useful to have someone on board who had raced IOR the first time around. Sometimes you have to get out of the IRC way of thinking. Sailing dead downwind under the kite for example.
    Well I think the Quokka guys qualify, it was them that had the boat built originally! Bought it back many years later and refurbed it for IRC.
    You never know, I might be right!

They need to be sailed by the numbers (by someone who knows what they're doing - not me) so you're chasing 6-7kts upwind in moderate conditions, bearing away slightly to get it if necessary so that you have enough way to deal with any chop.

There were 5 modified HT's in HYC in Dublin for the season. Checkmate XV, Checkmate XVIII, The Big Picture, Harmony and recently Trastada. The first 3 are MG30's but now all have new keels, rudders and deck layouts (also they look like new). Harmony is a lovely cedar Humphreys 33 with a new rudder and deck. Not sure about Trastada. All have masthead rigs with sweptback spreaders. In the past we had Blue Berret Pi and Superhero here too. If you want to see what can be done with no cost limit have a look at Swazzlebubble.

Not sure about the comments about weekending on a mod HT'er. I hate even going down to get sails on them, best that can be said is that they have good deck space for swimming. Unmodified HT's like a shamrock 30 would be fine obviously but these rate much lower.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast