Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Old Half tonner performance

Trastada was on the Clyde for a couple of seasons recently but I'm sure the last I saw her she was struggling in IRC.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Trastada was on the Clyde for a couple of seasons recently but I'm sure the last I saw her she was struggling in IRC.

Donald
    V. quick in the light stuff but needs new sails and some work to go well in some breeze. Will get the investment with the new owners Id imagine.

HTs rate well in IRC hereabouts, they pretty much dominate class 2 in club and open events. The only competition seems to be well sailed corby 26s or a particularly quick local J97.
    Last edited by Ferris; 11-12-18 at 20:26.

HT’s are grand for inshore round the cans type racing but I’m not sure if I’d be a fan of going offshore in one. The structural integrity of a lot of old HT’s would probably be questionable in any windier races.
    For inshore they are good fun and are probably more enjoyable to race because they are properly set up for racing and they usually have proper racing cockpits with plenty of room to work.
    If I was going offshore I would be looking for something more robust and that’s a bit fun.
    Here’s two cheaper options
    A DB1 converted to swept back spreaders
    https://yachts.apolloduck.ie/boat/dehler-db-1/190430
    Or this could be great fun...
    https://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat...read-30/590115

I’d be if the same opinion re offshore racing, they’d be very uncomfortable. In the HT cup they do a shore race and that’s about as much as I’d do. They’re brilliant at windward leewards, less so around the cans where modern stuff with long waterlines have an advantage. Build wise the boats mentioned have been extensively worked on to stiffen them up but in the heavier stuff they can slam badly where heavier boats like x302’s do brilliantly. We raced that db1 a few years back and beat her, she was well sailed but she’s a 3/4 tonner I believe, even bigger bills. A db2 would be better still but rare.

My good sailing friend and myself found this old Humphreys half tonner based on the Trapper 950 languishing in a shed at the back of Deacons old boatyard back around 1991/2. We bought her, completely stripped and rebuilt her and did countless JOG, Solent inshore and RORC races thereafter. She was sold to the West Country in about 1995, again in 2005 and is still sailing, out of Weymouth I believe. She was quite civilised below with loo, cooker, engine under the fixed table and close to unbeatable in light airs but a bit of a handful in a blow.
    She had the classic twin spreader rig with runners and we managed to keep the rig in the boat all bar one cross channel race when we lost it due to a forestay failure... Hooligan was our name, she was originally Zephyros

http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/E62%20Hooligan.htm

Hooligan1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395 View Post
    Great site, I was wrong about Checkmate XVIII, she's a Berret-Finot, not an MG30

There do seem to be some bargains, I sailed an MGHS30 Heart of Gold when it was new. It's now for sale at 6950
    We did the 85 world cup in her in Italy, shes was actually quite heavily built compared to some of the French, Italian boats at the time and she was OK in some breeze.
    https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/mg-yachts-mg30/569034 I preferred the colour scheme when we sailed her.

Lots of boat for the money and a lot has been spent on her, in a blow you just need a man on the kicker and nerves of steel.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

It was that boat that prompted the original question, though I'm not sure it's had any money spent on it apart from a new rig nearly 20 years ago.
    Seems it would be cheapish fun for buggering about in local races but comments on offshore are noted. By the time you've bought new sails and renewed the rigging you might as well get the DB1 mentioned above.

If you want a half tonner that goes in light airs then get Tumblehome. Years old but I saw her a few years ago in Ostend. She was clearly still being sailed & looked fit to race. I raced against her when new & she had excellent light airs performance.
    If I recall correctly, she had the wrong rating & it was not realised that a mistake had been made for some years. Hence, she did not win any cups at first. When it was realised, she was re rated to half ton & began to win.
    A Stephen Jones design from the late 70's or early 80's . Had a bulbous bow.

Does not his first Hustled 32's meet half ton ratings when properly trimmed etc?
    I think that Xaviera did ( sorry cannot recall spelling) They were fairly big boats. His 36's were 3/4 ton or thereabouts.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I must have confused it with anther one I'd looked at. One had new sails and a recent keel. But she was a quick boat back in the day. Ace was our main competition on the solent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast