Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Southwold

Default Southwold

When heading North I usually sail past Southwold so last Monday i thought I would take a drive there & have a look round. The town itself is quite nice, the high street is a gentle stroll & i enjoyed a pleasant cup of coffee & bowl of hot soup.
    I asked the 2 waitresses how to get to the harbour & although they both lived locally only one had actually been there ( I now know why!!) & she advised going by car as it was at least 20 mins walk.

I approached by the coastal road ( followed by a short stretch of deep water filled potholes) & my first impression was that Southwold was trying to give Grimsby a run for its money in the derelict harbour contest
    DSC_0030.jpg

I noted the section of new harbour wall clearly constructed to prevent yachts from tying up to it
    It was high water by the way - hate to think what it looks like at low water

DSC_0019.jpg

A little further on I thought " Well I suppose someone can call it quaint!!"
    DSC_0017.jpg
    Then I arrived at the section where visting yachts would be welcomed ( Welcomed???)
    DSC_0033.jpg
    But how on earth does one tie up to this rigid pontoon & fend off when the tide drops?
    I asked a local & he said that one had to stay aboard & be very careful because as the tide rose the boat would get stuck under the deck & crush the stanchions etc. The trick is to raft against some other poor soul
    But never mind I thought there is always the chance to nip ashore & get a few provisions then back to the boat so I passed through the row of buildings to see what was on the other side
    DSC_0036.jpg
    Oh!!!
    Still must be cheap to stop there for a one night stop over if needs be
    DSC_0034.jpg
    31 ft boat £27-00/ night Electric extra £ 4-30 & I forgot to add that to get ashore at high tide one needs waders because the ramp stops short & the water is a foot deep
    Sorry did not photo that bit
    I did want to cross the river by the foot bridge further up river & take some pictures from the other side with the sun on my back
    But the sign said - Footbridge closed- Unsafe- Use another route
    Needless to say the ferry was not operating either

Somehow I do not think that I will ever be visiting Southwold harbour

What a Dump
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 13-12-18 at 09:38.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Default Re: Southwold

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    When heading North I usually sail past Southwold so last Monday i thought I would take a drive there & have a look round. The town itself is quite nice, the high street is a gentle stroll & i enjoyed a pleasant cup of coffee & bowl of hot soup.
    I asked the 2 waitresses how to get to the harbour & although they both lived locally only one had actually been there ( I now know why!!) & she advised going by car as it was at least 20 mins walk.

I approached by the coastal road ( followed by a short stretch of deep water filled potholes) & my first impression was that Southwold was trying to give Grimsby a run for its money in the derelict harbour contest
    DSC_0030.jpg

I noted the section of new harbour wall clearly constructed to prevent yachts from tying up to it
    It was high water by the way - hate to think what it looks like at low water

DSC_0019.jpg

A little further on I thought " Well I suppose someone can call it quaint!!"
    DSC_0017.jpg
    Then I arrived at the section where visting yachts would be welcomed ( Welcomed???)
    DSC_0033.jpg
    But how on earth does one tie up to this rigid pontoon & fend off when the tide drops?
    I asked a local & he said that one had to stay aboard & be very careful because as the tide rose the boat would get stuck under the deck & crush the stanchions etc. The trick is to raft against some other poor soul
    But never mind I thought there is always the chance to nip ashore & get a few provisions then back to the boat so I passed through the row of buildings to see what was on the other side
    DSC_0036.jpg
    Oh!!!
    Still must be cheap to stop there for a one night stop over if needs be
    DSC_0034.jpg
    31 ft boat £27-00/ night Electric extra £ 4-30 & I forgot to add that to get ashore at high tide one needs waders because the ramp stops short & the water is a foot deep
    Sorry did not photo that bit
    I did want to cross the river by the foot bridge further up river & take some pictures from the other side with the sun on my back
    But the sign said - Footbridge closed- Unsafe- Use another route
    Needless to say the ferry was not operating either

What a Dump
    We have been there just the one time, we were fortunate as it was September not quite so busy as summertime. We were lucky to be allocated a new staging rather than "The Raft".
    We invited local friends down for lunch in The Hbr Inn, good god that was expensive & a pint in the home of Adnams was akin to extortion.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Well, for once I deeply disagree with you, D-D! Been there many times by boat. We love it. Each to his own.
    HM issues fender-boards if you're alongside the staging, the local was talking twaddle. There's a pontoon if you don't like the staging.
    Very very big tides this week, I've never seen that walk-off under water on our boating visits.
    Nice pub and some good eateries too along the riverside. Town is a bit twee, gone all Whitstable. Footbridge thing is temporary (I hope). Ferry runs all summer.
    You should have popped in the HM's office for a chat, nice couple of chaps.
    Last edited by Cantata; 13-12-18 at 09:52.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

What a Dump
    That's fine....more room for those that do like it
    Yacht: White Pearl - Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32i

Don’t worry, some day soon it will be modernised (read ruined) and you’ll have a brand spanking Marina with all that that entails. It’s a small Suffolk harbour, not the Solent!

It's already been modernised! Poncy floating pontoons along the banks. Most of the old stagings have gone. As have a lot of the older fisherman's shacks. I think it's lost a lot of it's character (I was berthed on the Walberswick side in the early 2000s but have been visiting family here since the 70s). The town is now ruined - it was once a haven, a throwback to a quieter time. Now it's full of clothes shops etc etc. The Bell at Walberswick used to be a 'locals' pub with characters propping up the bar. That's hasn't been the case for many a year and it's just like any other pub nowadays. It's 'progress' and we can't stop it apparently. IMO it's been spoilt by London money. Hardly ever visit Southwold now and it's only 20minutes away from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    Don’t worry, some day soon it will be modernised (read ruined) and you’ll have a brand spanking Marina with all that that entails. It’s a small Suffolk harbour, not the Solent!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
    It's already been modernised! Poncy floating pontoons along the banks. .
    Poncy???
    You must be joking. You have seen my picture . It is similar to that all the way along the riverside. Some better ones I admit but hardly " modernised" if you call 100 years ago modernised. Just open your eyes & go & look. The place is crumbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    You should have popped in the HM's office for a chat, nice couple of chaps.
    I did!!!
    It was shut!

Each to their own. Southwold is one of my favourite places to visit by boat. A step back in time albeit I fear that won't last for much longer

Should have put a smiley in - here you go .

If the harbour stays as is that will be fine by me. I like the crumbling look. But I'm worried that it will change for the worse.

The town is different - I think it's already changed irrevocably for the worse over the last 10 years or so.
    Poncy???
    You must be joking. You have seen my picture . It is similar to that all the way along the riverside. Some better ones I admit but hardly " modernised" if you call 100 years ago modernised. Just open your eyes & go & look. The place is crumbling.
    Last edited by Tradewinds; 13-12-18 at 13:28.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast