Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Southwold

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,422

    Default Re: Southwold

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    You did not answer the question about your Kitchen worktops


    Your post is rather insulting to us carrot crunchers in Suffolk
    With due respect - you did have a dig at my work tops. & i did reply by telling you that they were fit for purpose.
    I have nothing against those on the Suffolk border & would not intentionally insult them. Furthermore I would not refer to them as " Carrot Crunchers". Unless , of course I felt that I had to respond to a dig coming my way.

    I would prefer (I am sure that you would agree) that we should call that one evens & desist from further comment.

    Really my post is not directed at those that live in Southwold but more to the harbour authorities that maintain the harbour. It was really meant to express my shear disappointment at what I saw & disbelief that others seem to find it acceptable.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 14-12-18 at 16:15.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,149

    Default Re: Southwold

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    With due respect - you did have a dig at my work tops. & i did reply by telling you that they were fit for purpose.
    I have nothing against those on the Suffolk border & would not intentionally insult them. Furthermore I would not refer to them as " Carrot Crunchers". Unless , of course I felt that I had to respond to a dig coming my way.

    I would prefer (I am sure that you would agree) that we should call that one evens & desist from further comment.

    Really my post is not directed at those that live in Southwold but more to the harbour authorities that maintain the harbour. It was really meant to express my shear disappointment at what I saw & disbelief that others seem to find it acceptable.
    The situation at Southwold is a scene that Artists go to paint.... If it was all new and modern they would not bother...……… Does that tell you something
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Southwold

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Well fit for purpose, works properly, not 100 years old, are carefully maintained, can be used at any time without fear of one catching a major disease & not covered with bits of left over food scraps. Bit like my boat really

    i suppose if one is used to living in filth, or a run down squat, or has a mangy old boat about which they have no pride if it gets mangled against a poorly maintained pontoon, then arriving at Southwold would pose no problem.

    As for history - Is that just a poor excuse for failing to spend money on a rotten footbridge or this:-
    Attachment 74809
    That is history is it
    Well it soon will be
    1. It's a harbour and not a marina.
    2. Virtually all of the single boat pontoons/stages like the one you picture are privately owned and maintained (or not); what would you have the harbour authority do?
    3. If the HMs were not in their office they would be contactable on their mobile VHF radios by any boat.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,422

    Default Re: Southwold

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    The situation at Southwold is a scene that Artists go to paint.... If it was all new and modern they would not bother...……… Does that tell you something
    Not really!!- What is it supposed to tell me?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Southwold & Ipswich
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Southwold

    I was driving though North Street in Southminster the other week and saw a run down kebab house with some paper all over the front of it and some graffiti. I didn't stop to take a picture of it and talk about it online

    The concrete harbour wall is really for commercial fishing boats and the RNLI, etc. Not for yachts to moor up to, as you can see by Laura K the fishing boat moored up alongside.

    The pilings are, as already mentioned, to be used with fender boards, as yachts used to do before floating pontoons were devised.

    And the tides last and this week have been very high, often flooding half the Harbour Inn carpark.

    I like my wonky mooring, the early and late sunrise and sunset. There is something that is quite special about an unspoiled bit of countryside which is favoured by artists and photographers. Summertime you'll struggle to get a berth as the place is rammed.

    You best not visit anywhere like the Deben or parts of the Orwell or places like Maldon, the Hythe or on the Medway or some of the Thames Get yourself immediately to Henley or St Kats, ask concierge to sweep the path in front of you too just incase there is a dog egg that you fail to see and then stand in.
    Electrical & heating engineer, Diesel remaps, Custom panels
    Southwold & Ipswich Yards

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    7,981

    Default Re: Southwold

    Surely it's OK for people to not find Southwold to their liking ?

    Not everyone likes Olde Worlde river moorings, not everyone likes posh marinas, not everyone likes quiet anchorages. Depending upon my mood, i might like any of them. It's good that we on the East Coast are fortunate enough to have plenty of each.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    7,981

    Default Re: Southwold

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewriches View Post

    You best not visit anywhere like the Deben or parts of the Orwell or places like Maldon, the Hythe or on the Medway or some of the Thames Get yourself immediately to Henley or St Kats, ask concierge to sweep the path in front of you too just incase there is a dog egg that you fail to see and then stand in.
    I don't know of anywhere on the Deben or Orwell that is quite like Southwold.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boat Orwell - Me Norwich
    Posts
    8,217

    Default Re: Southwold

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post

    i suppose if one . . . has a mangy old boat about which they have no pride . . .
    What about those of us who have a mangy old boat about which they do have pride?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,422

    Default Re: Southwold

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewriches View Post
    I was driving though North Street in Southminster the other week and saw a run down kebab house with some paper all over the front of it and some graffiti. I didn't stop to take a picture of it and talk about it online

    .
    Well you are now. i suppose that means that you find it historically enchanting
    Get an artist down there quick.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    3,701

    Default Re: Southwold

    Well. I like Southwold, I've not been there for a few years by boat, but it is nice, we like it and the town has good shopping, says my wife. You won't like the Deben either, a terribly difficult entrance - you'll just run aground...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to