Cool Dreaming of a warm wind free summer

We've spent the past 2 years with our new to us boat doing ever decreasing circles around Plymouth as we've encountered 1 problem after another. However this is the year when we spread our wings and I'm starting to make a rough itinerary. Although we've been based in Plymouth for the past 6 years and we've done little hops to Falmouth (1week) / Fowey ( a couple of weekends) / Dartmouth (a lunch stop on the way back from Brixham) / Salcombe ( 2 weekends) / Brixham (1 week )/ Torquay (1 night) we really want to explore the South West properly before we move East in a couple of years.

Daughter is in Southsea and keeps sending me enticing pictures of the calm seas and lovely weather. Also we've visited Southsea marina and liked everything about it.

If you had unlimited time, which we do really, how would you divide your time between the ports mentioned? What are the gems we haven't found? We're with MDL so Brixham and Torquay are included in Freedom berthing, other marinas will cost. We want marinas for the facilities and electrickery, but could spend a short time exploring up river either with our boat or with the dinghy. We can't dry out and draw 1 metre.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Default Re: Dreaming of a warm wind free summer

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy* View Post
    We've spent the past 2 years with our new to us boat doing ever decreasing circles around Plymouth as we've encountered 1 problem after another. However this is the year when we spread our wings and I'm starting to make a rough itinerary. Although we've been based in Plymouth for the past 6 years and we've done little hops to Falmouth (1week) / Fowey ( a couple of weekends) / Dartmouth (a lunch stop on the way back from Brixham) / Salcombe ( 2 weekends) / Brixham (1 week )/ Torquay (1 night) we really want to explore the South West properly before we move East in a couple of years.

Daughter is in Southsea and keeps sending me enticing pictures of the calm seas and lovely weather. Also we've visited Southsea marina and liked everything about it.

If you had unlimited time, which we do really, how would you divide your time between the ports mentioned? What are the gems we haven't found? We're with MDL so Brixham and Torquay are included in Freedom berthing, other marinas will cost. We want marinas for the facilities and electrickery, but could spend a short time exploring up river either with our boat or with the dinghy. We can't dry out and draw 1 metre.

All suggestions gratefully received.
    What is your boat
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

If you come back down to Falmouth, then spending some time exploring the beauty of the Helford and Fal Rivers would be highly recommended. The Fal has some mid river pontoons - no electricity - and the Helford has a good number of visitor moorings.

Falmouth would also be a good launch point to visit Porthleven Harbour which does dry out and then onto Penzance and Newlyn which has a modern marina where the lifeboat is based and then onto the Scilly's perhaps? There arn't any marinas there, but if you are able to be self sufficient for a few days then cruising around the Scilly's in good weather is spectacular.

Happy cruising
    Andy

Polperro, Charlestown, Mevagissey all worth a visit.

I've been sailing round the West Country for some time, OK in a sailing boat and really, really do like a bit of wind.

In my humble opinion you are in the second best cruising grounds in the UK, the west coast of Scotland being the first, but don't tell all the people in the Solent that or they will be heading west past the big dragon at Portland.

Being in a motor boat you have a huge advantage over us, a shallow draft. Personally, I would get really comfortable using the anchor. Perhaps a few trips to Cawsand and a few nights at anchor or a trip up to Dandy Hole. If you are not happy using the anchor why not get an instructor onboard for a day and work with them. I hear http://searegs.co.uk/ are very good.

Get a good pilot book, I've always used the Shell one, but was out with a skipper who had the Imray one and was very impressed with that one and go and explore.

Looking forward to a great 2019 and if you pass me in the Sound make sure to wave.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.