Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: opinions on this project

Now I cannot stop myself
    Why not invite your friend to invest in your existing project? He gets use of a boat (that’s ready for summer use) you get an injection of finance. Win win
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

Quote Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
    A mate is thinking on getting a boat and i love this and he does but he is not up on boats and i can do the work, could be a thing for us both, he buys i do the work. 50/50 ownership.

I think its a goer, engine is rebuilt, shell looks good, yes we would need to look at it but price seems good ?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...86730342205027
    110hp engine in that makes it a river boat. Bayliners have a very flat V and i think that's why they don't track that well at displacement speed, The first evenstar was very similar to that and I put a 200hp diesel in it that was good.

But the engine and trailer are worth 4k even if you scrap the rest.

If you do buy it their weaknesses are the hull/deck joint and rotten transoms. Both fixable but not trivial to do so.

edit NB check the trailer is legal - american trailers are often too wide to be legal, (we allow a load overhang so you can tow that boat on a suitably narrow trailer) may need power brakes which our vehicles don't normally have and often have a 2" instead of a 50mm ball hitch. The 2" looks the same and will fit but it will jump off! Beware.
    Last edited by Elessar; 20-12-18 at 11:20.

For a boat share to work it has (IMHO and experience) to be 50:50 from the very beginning. If he buys the boat it is his boat, you will just be a mate helping out. This means every bill is detailed and logged and then split 50 : 50.

Do not over value your capability, and any contribution will not help he nor you later. He will like also be able to do some things, and as he gains experience more and more things.

Your approach is a recipe for animosity at some point and then a fall out of mates. For this reason please pay your full share from the outset, or just accept it is a friends boat that you are helping him with. An assumption of ownership acquisition based upon the "Old Pals Act" will end in tears.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

A mate is thinking on getting a boat and i love this and he does but he is not up on boats and i can do the work, could be a thing for us both, he buys i do the work. 50/50 ownership.

I think its a goer, engine is rebuilt, shell looks good, yes we would need to look at it but price seems good ?

My 2 penny worth. Agree with much of what’s already been said, my son owned a Bayliner for a few years, bought from a friend who went on to a bigger version. They’ve lots going for them, but I suspect you’ll struggle to sell it at much of a profit after all the work has been done. And if you want original bits, it’s an American boat, so UK availability may be a real problem.

As PeteM has suggested I’d stick to a classic uk boat. And with you as sole owner.

50/50 scenarios don't work out 80% of the time!
    You won't make money out of he Project
    'Time'-- where do you buy it?
    How do you price it?

As a labour of love there is plenty to go at!
    I wonder too why the current owner is selling, his profile suggests he is a boaty type

If the vessel is 'just what you want' IE , when finished (well,they are never finished but you know what I mean!) it will be just the Job and give you both years of pleasure well fair enough

Elessar has given some good advice as to the way the boat can be used
    The hull form and the power unit do not lend themselves for use as a 'sea boat'

Bouba mentioned that there are quite a few about that only need 'fettling' not re building
    He is spot on

'We' know that you have the skills to renovate the boat
    Blimey do we know it!!!

I can see too where you are coming from and what may be going through your mind
    Compared to your current project when you first showed us all its origional condition when found
    This boat must seem to be a 'doddle' to fix up!

Wayne I ;speak; from experience
    Early nineties I purchased my 4th boat which was a complete boat and a runner
    I thought it would just need TLC and a bit of fettling
    Ha!, I soon found out that was not the case
    However in monetary terms I got the investment back
    Plus I had years of enjoyment with Her cruising all around the Irish Sea
    Sold Her for a bigger and ;better' boat
    Which looked to be a ready to use vessel
    Wrong!
    That's another Story however

So, my advice
    Complete the current Project
    Use Her and enjoy then see how you take to motorboating etc
    Yes 50/50's can work, don't get me wrong
    I was in a 50/50 business for Years
    It worked out fine but I tell you it's a rare thing

Hi all

Ok, i have read all your post up until tonight which i just caught up with, i couldnt reply sooner as i found it hard to type, sorry.

I was going to go around to my mates this weekend and chat over things, now a mate but not a close as in out drinking mates, not known him long but he is a keen boater. How i met him.

Yesterday i was thinking over the advice you all gave and it got me thinking about mates in the past. You know the ones, `can you just` i spent so much time helping what i thought were friends out with fixing there cars etc and after years of it i got fed up of it as that was the only time i seen them really , therefore not real friends/mates.

I dont mean to sound a selfish/arrogant git but i dont need friends like that again which is what could happen, or trust folk much now.

So today i spoke for an hour or so on the phone to him as this weekend is to be spent on my own boat to get it done asap. I mentioned about the ins and outs of time and cost and took all your advice into account. And as it happens after me explaining things to him along with cost and needs of boat owning he has said to leave it before i did. He said he is happy to get a smaller runner and i said i will help out when i can if he needs it.

Its just me and being to obsessed with projects and faffing about with boats.

Get this one finished and enjoy it for a while then the next one can come along when ready, owned by me.

Have a great Xmas and New Year all.

Thanks Wayne

Get this one finished and enjoy it for a while then the next one can come along when ready, owned by me.

Have a great Xmas and New Year all.

Thanks Wayne
    Jolly good.

Enjoy Chrimbo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12