Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: club regattas

Default Re: club regattas

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    When I was a member, it used to be the case that you could sink into the mud at Chepstow and District YC, at least on the front moorings. But the mud moves so it would be wise to check that this still is the case.
    Chepstow St Pierre Pill is quite a nice trip from Cardiff, I normally go up outside Charlton Rock light then loop back via the oaze but if you stick mid channel you can go inside. A year ago you could sink your keel happily in the gloop next to the landing stages, indeed my dear navigator slipped tripped and fell in the previous year and sank up to her armpits and needed hauling out with the aid of club members. Rather a long walk across field to the Mathern arms but nice lunch when you get there
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    The other good rally is Newport as access is easy to their pontoon and mud gloopy enough for any boat to sit in.
    NUSC is a very welcoming club and I'm sure you'll be welcome any time, a very nice easy sail from and to Cardiff. Just a word of warning if you do dry out in the pill on the pontoon (which is just as easy as if you were to tie up to any pontoon inc spring lines) do not go past the pontoon as there's a high voltage pylon which will zap you...(it's on the charts), don't let the couple of fishing boats lull you into thinking you can go there.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Well Gentelmen,
    this thread is in a danger of turning into WHY not to sail in any Bristol Channel regattas!
    Overhead electrical lines, dangerous approaches to marinas,
    and guaranteed "mud baths" are hardly enticing
    This is perhaps also part of the problem.

The regattas in themselves, are not interesting enough to warrant quite a real danger of damaging the boat?
    One more aspect, not mentioned previously is the weather.
    The forecasting has improved dramatically in the time I have been sailing, but there is a change in the weather patterns also.
    As perhaps the last boxing day +1 race clearly shows. For the first time in my sailing career.... I have been...waiting (!?) in the middle of the race, for the wind to put any appearance at all!
    At least it was glouriously sunny!!!
    As I mentioned previously, for us, drying out on a bulb keel, with a relatively deep draft is a no-go.
    This is not a fully crewed boat able to be "heeled" by the crew to be freed from being stuck, but a two-handed affair, thus any contact with the ground, however soft, should be avoided at any cost!

We might attempt the Holmes race, depending on the exact time. At the moment, I was not able to find a date for 2019 at their website.
    Last edited by 01_Anna; 18-01-19 at 09:49.

I doubt if anyone racing in regattas has hurt their pride and joy by the objective dangers inherant in the BC. If you inhabit these waters you quickly learn about tidal streams, sandbanks and yes, even power lines. The dangers of racing include,but are not exclusively, the attitude of gung ho racers not really knowing the rules leading to collisions; the question of racing in unsuitable conditions and the suitability of the class of boat for the BC. Deep draft bulb keelers belong on the south coast or in the tideless lagoon that is Cardiff Bay (but even that may not be deep enough in parts).

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Chepstow St Pierre Pill is quite a nice trip from Cardiff, I normally go up outside Charlton Rock light then loop back via the oaze but if you stick mid channel you can go inside. A year ago you could sink your keel happily in the gloop next to the landing stages, indeed my dear navigator slipped tripped and fell in the previous year and sank up to her armpits and needed hauling out with the aid of club members. Rather a long walk across field to the Mathern arms but nice lunch when you get there
    Proposed dated for the CDYC Regatta is the 22nd and 23rd of June with a 11 mtr tide and Hw at 11am so an easy sail for the Down river clubs to make it!As said the mud is deep by the Club side pontoon up to 11ft so deep keels sit upright with mast top halyard tied to the pontoon! The lady in question was not put off sailing with the over generous mud pack!DSC00275 Mud Pack at St Pierre Warning.JPG

You can be assured of a warm welcome and skippers get a free beer! ............usually!

And as they were in the 1950s Regatta with stylish sailing gear!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkHvKPVndNE
    Last edited by TOKOLOSHI; 18-01-19 at 11:28.

Quote Originally Posted by 01_Anna View Post
    Well Gentelmen,
    this thread is in a danger of turning into WHY not to sail in any Bristol Channel regattas!
    The power line is nothing to worry about as long as you know it's there... It's on the charts, there's signs up on either bank but people don't look, just a bit of local knowledge as mentioned earlier. I know there's a wing keeled boat that dries out in the mud that comes up every tide without a crew (if that's the same in other bits of the channel I don't know). A bulb shouldn't really be any different, it sit on it's keel when it's on the hard.

I believe the Holmes is 14th September.
    Last edited by Yellow Ballad; 18-01-19 at 12:23.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Tokoloshi!
    thank you very much for the information. Now...off to "hunting" for crew!

Snoopy463
    If you tried to be funny, you sadly failed.
    If you tried to patronise with your superior knowledge of racing&rules...ditto.

I have been sailing since a little girl.... having been brought up in a family of die-hard mountaneers.
    And we are talking of proper mountains, not the hills in UK.

Which brings me to the last point:
    I am the first person to freely admit, that my knowledge of sailing the Bristol Channel is very limited.
    Moreover, I am trying very hard, to learn its vagaries and quirks.
    That is, among other things why I have joined writing in this forum.

The attitude you represent, writing the above post, is sadly not helping. Sorry for being so direct.

Anna
    I was not trying to patronise nor be funny, just giving my honest opinion.
    Racing used to be well contested in the BC in the past. The contestants tended to be grown up dinghy sailors with boats of bilge keel or conventional fin design that by definition had to deal with the tides for mooring purposes. ie there were no marinas or barraged lagoons so they had to take to the ground or sit in deep mud. With the advent of Cardiff Bay with 2 marinas and 2 clubs with stay afloat facilities, there was an inevitable trend to vessels with less capability of drying out.
    The regatta circuit at the top end of the channel has suffered of late with the increase of such craft. In addition, folk are less enamoured with roughing it in venues with limited walk ashore facilities.
    Just saying

The regatta circuit at the top end of the channel has suffered of late with the increase of such craft. In addition, folk are less enamoured with roughing it in venues with limited walk ashore facilities.

Sailors of old were more adept at making their own entertainment! with a banjo, guitar and a jews harp! with a few beers and simple fayre round a camp fire! Now most want Marina and waterside cafes and bars!

But the Cardiff Barrage was buid such a long time ago!
    There is a whole new generation of sailors grown up since the old dinghy days you mention.

My daughter has tried dinghies, did not like it ( and we are talking warm water dinghy sailing, not Europe!) and never wanted to do it again.
    Sailing is for fun, not for "survival against all the odds".
    At least it is for myself and my kids.

No one in their right mind would like to go back to the "no facilities" sailing, what for?!
    The same with boats. Those old boats had their place, back then. But now, the fun is in newer technologies, better sails, some extra equipment. I love fast sailing, I got a fast boat. For fun.
    But, I cannot afford to carelessly damage it, due to not taking precautions,
    and not paying attention to where we sail.
    BTW my daughter did, among others, a Classic navigation course in Sea cadets.
    I seriously doubt she is likely to use it in practice.

Back to the regatta question:
    the regatta/racing time has to be easily accomodated by people with various constraints: work, school, caring for family members etc.
    The regatta itself has to be in some way interesting. Either the location. Or the type of race. Boring, run the mill course...why would one try to sail, having done it before?
    OK, so my daughter might have not. Therefore for her there could be the novelty factor! But for myself?
    And for other sailors, like me, who did not "grow up" dinghy sailing,
    but sailed proper boats from the word go? What would be the attraction?!

I do not know the answers to those questions. All I know that they have been posed to me.

I sail for pleasure. Only that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast