Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ERRRR....Silent minority here!!!!

<few peeps have oil heating, and even less of them have MGO, so that's not an option.>

Errrr scuse me but what about us poor sods that live in the wilds of Dorset.... no gas round ere, so has to be oil. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

poter
    Poter

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)

Default Re: Right On,

[ QUOTE ]
    IMHO, in practice you will just not be able to lay your hands on heating oil, unless you house is heated with MGO - few peeps have oil heating, and even less of them have MGO, so that's not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's MGO? Clearly not normal heating oil. Is this 35sec kerosene, which could pass for diesel? If so, I can see why C&E want to keep an eye on it.

Tony S
    Tony S

Poter,

I'm not denying your right to heat your house with Oilas I do and I'm not out in the wilds.... You probably use Kerosine - and that's of no interest to C&E

AeSmith,
    MGO is Marked Gas Oil= Diesel which is the same (ish) as whatever you put in your boat and possibly your car if you're naughty. So C&E is interested in monitoring your domestic heating oil consumption (if it's Gas Oil)

Both - Domestic heating oil comes in two varieties:-

28Sec = Kerosine This variety is used by the majority of peeps who need to heat their houses with "oil". My suppliedr calls it "Premium Burning Oil"; the only thing premium about it is it's current price...

35Sec = MGO = GO = Diesel. This is only for peeps with a very large house to heat, for all sorts of reasons.

Both are known as "heating oil" - hence the general confusion.

The xxSec is a measure of its viscosity, ie. how long it takes a sample to pass through a standard measuring funnel.

OK?

OK - so the red stuff I put in my boat to power the engine and the diesel fired boiler (and costs me £0.40 per litre) is basically the same as the stuff house owners use to fire their boilers (and costs them £0.17 per litre - or so I am led to believe)?

Phil van Bergen

[ QUOTE ]
    OK - so the red stuff I put in my boat to power the engine and the diesel fired boiler (and costs me £0.40 per litre) is basically the same as the stuff house owners use to fire their boilers (and costs them £0.17 per litre - or so I am led to believe)?

Phil van Bergen

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, got it in one - in principle, but the 17p. price was way back last summer before the current panic and was for the Kerosene variety (28Sec Gas Oil is always a tad dearer. I did a check at about that time and my distributor wanted to charge me 28p/l if I collected it loose; at the same time my normal sources on the Thames were between 23 and 28p/l.

It's all about who you are, where you are and what you're doing with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12