Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ERRRR....Silent minority here!!!!

<few peeps have oil heating, and even less of them have MGO, so that's not an option.>

Errrr scuse me but what about us poor sods that live in the wilds of Dorset.... no gas round ere, so has to be oil. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

poter
    Poter

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)

Default Re: Right On,

[ QUOTE ]
    IMHO, in practice you will just not be able to lay your hands on heating oil, unless you house is heated with MGO - few peeps have oil heating, and even less of them have MGO, so that's not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's MGO? Clearly not normal heating oil. Is this 35sec kerosene, which could pass for diesel? If so, I can see why C&E want to keep an eye on it.

Tony S
    Tony S

Poter,

I'm not denying your right to heat your house with Oilas I do and I'm not out in the wilds.... You probably use Kerosine - and that's of no interest to C&E

AeSmith,
    MGO is Marked Gas Oil= Diesel which is the same (ish) as whatever you put in your boat and possibly your car if you're naughty. So C&E is interested in monitoring your domestic heating oil consumption (if it's Gas Oil)

Both - Domestic heating oil comes in two varieties:-

28Sec = Kerosine This variety is used by the majority of peeps who need to heat their houses with "oil". My suppliedr calls it "Premium Burning Oil"; the only thing premium about it is it's current price...

35Sec = MGO = GO = Diesel. This is only for peeps with a very large house to heat, for all sorts of reasons.

Both are known as "heating oil" - hence the general confusion.

The xxSec is a measure of its viscosity, ie. how long it takes a sample to pass through a standard measuring funnel.

OK?

OK - so the red stuff I put in my boat to power the engine and the diesel fired boiler (and costs me 0.40 per litre) is basically the same as the stuff house owners use to fire their boilers (and costs them 0.17 per litre - or so I am led to believe)?

Phil van Bergen

[ QUOTE ]
    OK - so the red stuff I put in my boat to power the engine and the diesel fired boiler (and costs me 0.40 per litre) is basically the same as the stuff house owners use to fire their boilers (and costs them 0.17 per litre - or so I am led to believe)?

Phil van Bergen

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, got it in one - in principle, but the 17p. price was way back last summer before the current panic and was for the Kerosene variety (28Sec Gas Oil is always a tad dearer. I did a check at about that time and my distributor wanted to charge me 28p/l if I collected it loose; at the same time my normal sources on the Thames were between 23 and 28p/l.

It's all about who you are, where you are and what you're doing with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12