Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watchet web cam

Default Watchet web cam

Just been looking at the new Watchet web cam
    Great views of the marina pity about the mud
    No change there then
    Don't look like it will be sorted for this year again

Default Re: Watchet web cam

Having been reading the WBOA minutes it looks as though there is a lot going on in the background and that it is now a matter of waiting for the new dredger to be completed and the council to agree to a mechanical dredge to clear the mud down to bedrock. After this the new dredger should be able to cope. So many people want the dredging to succeed!
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

The questions is, and always was - who will pay for the harbour to be cleared back to the bedrock....? It won't be cheap.

As the outer harbour is the council's responsibility it needs to start with them.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Fingers crossed for a successful outcome, perhaps the local chamber of trade should lobby the council?

More visiting boats means more pounds spent with local businesses
    See the rainbow not the rain

The original design by Dunball (?) was flawed, and they went against the advice of the local fishermen and their boat group. If you look back on how the harbour was managed, with the stream flowing THROUGH the basin, you can see why the muck settles when the flow is stopped.

And then for years the Environment Agency got 'stremely huffy over plans to pump out muddy slurry on outgoing tides thinking it would damge the local beaches. This was without looking at the millions of tons of suspended mud which rush up and down the Channel twice a day.. Fighting nature instead of working with it.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

I remember it before the marina was built. True there was a stream flowing through but there was also still large banks of mud. I ploughed them often enough.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Spoke to Watchet yesterday they are waiting for a jet wash dredger in feb even the hammerheads are drying out now so I cant see them sorting it out this year,

I don't understand if they got that much mud in there why do they keep using the gate just leave it down.

I dont think they have the ability to do that. Even if they did, the mud would gradually rise to the level of the cill.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

I would have thought the faster the water leaves the marina more mud would go out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast