Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,402

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Excluding those mentioned already, the Collins Bird book is invaluable
    La longue route if you speak a bit of french and if you don't the translation works too. I've got a few books on the shelf by sailors but I've never felt the need to rummage through them for a knox-johnston or macarthur quote. Moitessier however..
    On the poetry side, the complete works of coleridge has obvious nautical relevance and if your friends accuse you of being pretentious you can say you only bought it because you liked that Olivia Newton John movie
    I've never read the riddle of the sands. There's copy on my shelf I'm saving for either a really really good day or a really really bad day

    Can anyone recommend a book on cetaceans and other large marine wildlife? That's something I feel is missing from my on-board collection.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marine-Mamm.../dp/0124095429
    A very good comprehensive book ,(medically retired Marine Biologist field of study Marine )Mammals)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bath, Somerset mainly
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    You may not have heard of this one: John Caldwell, Desperate Voyage, Adlard Coles Nautical, the most astonishing story of a sailing novice who took on an ocean and survived. Just. I love the bit where he is starving, having bailed all his food overboard, and fantasises about gently catching, plucking and devouring a bird that has landed nearby. He grabs it and shoves it into his mouth, feathers and all.
    Bring the Caribbean nearer with a good book, See www.lesweatheritt.com/books

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boat Orwell - Me Norwich
    Posts
    7,504

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    I keep them at home, rather than on board, but for a good read that stays with you, and asks to be re-read, I'd recommend:

    Passage to Juneau - Jonathan Raban
    Ostensibly about a sailing trip from Vancouver to Alaska, but is so much, much more.

    The Worst Journey in the World - Apsley Cherry-Gerrard
    Beautifully written, moving, perceptive account of extreme adventuring. Reckoned by some to be one of the best travel books ever written.

    Maurice Griffiths - The Magic of the Swatchways
    A one-off, by a founder of yachting as we know it. He wrote numerous other books, but this is the one that takes you there.

    The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow - A J Mackinnon
    What a hoot! Gloriously entertaining tale of the author's voyage from inland England, through Europe and on to the Black Sea. In a Mirror dinghy!



    On my last long-distance trip the most useful book aboard was a Reeds Almanac. Not for its content but, by virtue of its bulk, when under engine and suitably placed it stopped the wheelhouse sole rattling!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    A Member State of the European Union
    Posts
    4,406

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    Quote Originally Posted by saab96 View Post
    You may not have heard of this one: John Caldwell, Desperate Voyage, Adlard Coles Nautical, the most astonishing story of a sailing novice who took on an ocean and survived. Just. I love the bit where he is starving, having bailed all his food overboard, and fantasises about gently catching, plucking and devouring a bird that has landed nearby. He grabs it and shoves it into his mouth, feathers and all.
    Thanks for reminding me of that. I read it years ago, and I might still have it. Didn't he chuck his engine over the wall too?

    Time I read it again.
    " Brexit is like watching your library being burned down by people who can't read"

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bath, Somerset mainly
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Thanks for reminding me of that. I read it years ago, and I might still have it. Didn't he chuck his engine over the wall too?

    Time I read it again.
    I don’t think he had an engine. Do you remember his leaving of Panama – his first experience of sailing? He fell overboard but too far from the clubhouse to be embarrassed by members seeing him. He became known as “Johnny coconut” in the Caribbean for planting nuts everywhere. Hell of a story.
    Bring the Caribbean nearer with a good book, See www.lesweatheritt.com/books

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bath, Somerset mainly
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I keep them at home, rather than on board, but for a good read that stays with you, and asks to be re-read, I'd recommend:

    Passage to Juneau - Jonathan Raban
    Ostensibly about a sailing trip from Vancouver to Alaska, but is so much, much more.

    The Worst Journey in the World - Apsley Cherry-Gerrard
    Beautifully written, moving, perceptive account of extreme adventuring. Reckoned by some to be one of the best travel books ever written.

    Maurice Griffiths - The Magic of the Swatchways
    A one-off, by a founder of yachting as we know it. He wrote numerous other books, but this is the one that takes you there.

    The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow - A J Mackinnon
    What a hoot! Gloriously entertaining tale of the author's voyage from inland England, through Europe and on to the Black Sea. In a Mirror dinghy!



    On my last long-distance trip the most useful book aboard was a Reeds Almanac. Not for its content but, by virtue of its bulk, when under engine and suitably placed it stopped the wheelhouse sole rattling!
    Three great ones there. So I will try to get the fourth.

    Do you know Peter Nichols, Sea Change A story of love and loss. Sailing his spartanly equipped 27 footer from England to the USA the boat springs a horrendous leak making the voyage a struggle to survive. Sheridan House, USA
    Bring the Caribbean nearer with a good book, See www.lesweatheritt.com/books

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boat Orwell - Me Norwich
    Posts
    7,504

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    Quote Originally Posted by saab96 View Post
    Three great ones there. So I will try to get the fourth.

    Do you know Peter Nichols, Sea Change A story of love and loss. Sailing his spartanly equipped 27 footer from England to the USA the boat springs a horrendous leak making the voyage a struggle to survive. Sheridan House, USA
    Yes, I've read Sea Change (and probably still have it somewhere) and liked it a lot. I remember very strongly the feel of the book - his mood etc. - but have completely forgotten about any of the incidents. I think he wrote another book afterwards, but that I wasn't so taken by.[I may be getting confused - I think one of his books was 'Sailing Out of Silence', but can't remember which was which]

    John Caldwell's Desperate Voyage, as someone has mentioned, is also a great read.

    There's another I liked in that series, can't remember title [South Sea Vagabonds?] or author, but is about young New Zealander (maybe two) who builds a boat from logs found on the shore, and sails round the South Pacific having adventures, like making money by sailing a saloon full of oranges from one island group to another. Some of it seems pretty unbelievable, while other parts ring true.

    Another sailing tale I liked a great deal - enough to re-read later - was about a lecturer taking a year off and sailing off from Whitby to go round the world. [Please remind me of the title, someone, it's bugging me!] Unlike the one above this is absolutely believable on both the human and boat issues fronts.
    Last edited by LittleSister; 25-01-19 at 21:48. Reason: Idea for one of the forgotten titles

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    A Member State of the European Union
    Posts
    4,406

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    Quote Originally Posted by saab96 View Post
    I don’t think he had an engine. Do you remember his leaving of Panama – his first experience of sailing? He fell overboard but too far from the clubhouse to be embarrassed by members seeing him. He became known as “Johnny coconut” in the Caribbean for planting nuts everywhere. Hell of a story.
    I have found my copy and had a quick skim read through it. He did have an engine but I can't find any reference to him ditching it; I must be getting mixed up with another intrepid voyager. It doesn't seem to have had much use and, if maintained to the same standard as the rest of the boat, it probably soon became unusable. One thing that caught my eye was his saying that he set off with a copy of "How to Sail".

    Anyway, I have added it to my reading (re-reading) list.

    ps can you imagine the reaction if there had been this forum available then and he had asked for advice. " I've never sailed before and I don't know how to navigate. I've bought a clapped out old boat and now I have no money left but I want to sail to Australia. Is this a good idea?"
    " Brexit is like watching your library being burned down by people who can't read"

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Guernsey
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    Fastnet, Force 10 by John Rousmaniere. You can pick one up second hand for very little.
    American guy who sailed through the disaster relatively unscathed.
    His explanation of what happened changed my understanding of the sea even in normal conditions.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Another sailing tale I liked a great deal - enough to re-read later - was about a lecturer taking a year off and sailing off from Whitby to go round the world. [Please remind me of the title, someone, it's bugging me!] Unlike the one above this is absolutely believable on both the human and boat issues fronts.
    The inspiration for my journey! The Breath of Angels by John Beattie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to