Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Books you couldn’t sail without?

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I don't think I can recommend it but I like The Yachtsman's Naturalist:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-sear...7s-naturalist/

It's scope is too wide, from bugs to birds, to do justice to anything in particular and it was not new, even a long time ago.
    However it has aged nicely, it's authors were sailors and you get sage advice about the weight of anchors and how to dredge and preserve specimens on a small boat. A book from another age it feels nice in the hand and has what used to be called "full colour plates" sandwiched between the text.

For youngkath - have a look at my suggestions on the Ten Best Books thread, I think you would enjoy them
    +1 for this book. It's fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by mattonthesea View Post
    The inspiration for my journey! The Breath of Angels by John Beattie.
    I read that, (and yours matt) I thouroughly enjoyed it, well written. But I do remember thinking it was a manual for how not to do it, and making a mental note to reread it before I did any similar trip to refresh myself with how not to make decisions and timings

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    I read that, (and yours matt) I thouroughly enjoyed it, well written. But I do remember thinking it was a manual for how not to do it, and making a mental note to reread it before I did any similar trip to refresh myself with how not to make decisions and timings
    Yes I'm never sure if he wrote it as a way of showing his poor judgement; or that he just didn't realise that he was making mistakes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234