Default Interesting canal article

In today’s Observer. Many of the issues raised will affect Thames boaters too.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-canal-network

Default Re: Interesting canal article

For once, a well written article about the canals! It makes a change

I've known Mike Palmer, the author of the IWA report, for many many years and sat with him on committees etc. He knows what he's talking about (even if we didn't always see eye to eye!)

Bru are you still boating on inland waterways? I had the idea you were now firmly an EC boater.

Quote Originally Posted by ianc1200 View Post
    Bru are you still boating on inland waterways? I had the idea you were now firmly an EC boater.
    Quit boating on the cut around 2000, kept up with working at waterways events until 2013. Still got lots of friends on the canals

Definitely a sailor now until age and decrepitude catch up with me than we might go back on the cut in our dotage

Excellent article.
    Probably the only type of craft , likely to ensure any long term income for certain navigations.
    Last edited by oldgit; 06-01-19 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Excellent article.
    Probably the only type of craft , likely to ensure any long term income for certain navigations.
    I'm assuming you mean leisure craft? indeed so

There are some opportunities for the return of freight on the Yorkshire waterways but any notion of freight returning to the narrow canals (the bulk of the system) is a fairy tale

I and several partners spent a lot of time and money trying to make it happen back in the 90s (a recycling collection project which would have been partially funded from the customers advertising and marketing budget) but we were killed dead by the double handling costs and the need to provide a road transport backup in the winter when we couldn't guarantee to be able to run the boats around the network

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    I'm assuming you mean leisure craft? indeed so.

The only real growth in UK on navigations appears to come from narrowboats , holiday and semi- residential plus folks enjoying cycle / bridleways and riverside paths etc.
    At some point there will be a real need to provide more visitor mooring spots to help prevent friction with other river users.

They'll have to double or treble the number of moorings to accommodate NB's. That won't happen.
    Narrowboats don't seem to be the semi or permanent residence of choice here, they're far too expensive. Anything previously owned by Hoseasons or a Dawncraft fitted with a wood burning stove is the des res of choice.
    Auld Loompaland

let's not confuse an article about the canals with issues on the River Thames (granted this is the Thames Forum but hey ho!)