Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Two new slum boats

Just arriving at Teddington Lock travelling upstream as I write. Neither with any propulsion so both under tow (and cover of darkness with no navigation lights).

1 x narrow boat with added scaffolding on top and 1 x beat up Cabin Cruiser.

Is there any requirement for these towed vessels to have a Licence or do they just buy a one day pass then stay or do they simply insist on their right to passage through the lock?

Anyway - two new neighbours for the rest cluttering up the river bewteen Teddington and Molsey.

Default Re: Two new slum boats

Anything that floats needs a licence. They may buy a day ticket then wait until they get caught by the compliance team. Or they may just not bother. The duty keeper should attempt to sell them a licence bu if they refuse to buy there's nothing he can do other than report it to the Shepperton Office.
    When I was in the Navy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lower Limit 1909 View Post
    Just arriving at Teddington Lock travelling upstream as I write. Neither with any propulsion so both under tow (and cover of darkness with no navigation lights). 1 x narrow boat with added scaffolding on top and 1 x beat up Cabin Cruiser. Is there any requirement for these towed vessels to have a Licence or do they just buy a one day pass then stay or do they simply insist on their right to passage through the lock? Anyway - two new neighbours for the rest cluttering up the river bewteen Teddington and Molsey.
    Why do you assume they are anything other than wayfarers going about their own affairs as best they can? There are many undesirables and indeed criminals with nav lights and engines and many honest men with failed equipment. Why the prejudice?

The UK is fairly restrictive in its access to water as I know as a kayaker and sailor.
    A boat is for going places

Oh great. There are already six of them moored alongside each other on the TVM moorings and they've been there for many months. The public moorings by the The Mill have been cleared by the council but the same boats have tied up from the bridge to the Hogsmill where it's no mooring. One NB has been on Horsefair Quays 24hr moorings for at least 3 months.
    The whole area has become what Reading Tesco was, I wouldn't leave my boat unnatended, even If I could find a space. Being the only licenced boat would attract attention.
    Kingston council has never replied to an email enquiry or returned a phone call.regarding this issue.
    Auld Loompaland

Scaffolding on top of a narrowboat, really? "I say sir, isn't that rather risky?"

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Why do you assume they are anything other than wayfarers going about their own affairs as best they can? There are many undesirables and indeed criminals with nav lights and engines and many honest men with failed equipment. Why the prejudice?
    Agreed. However, it takes many years of neglect combined with some deliberate 'distressing' to achieve that particular 'look'. E.G; Fertiliser bags as glass replacement. Not an isolated equipment failure.

It's observation - not prejudice.

I see boats without lights and boats with failed equipment being towed regularly. I've been in both positions myself more than once. This is different.

I hope you are right and I am wrong, but it would be a case of hope over experience when it comes to such vessels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    Scaffolding on top of a narrowboat, really? "I say sir, isn't that rather risky?"
    Arranged as a kind of waist height railing around the edge of the roof. A worthy - if ugly and historically incongruent - H&S add on.

I can't help but feel it would rather hinder one of the few advantages that Narrow Boats have in Lock, but I suspect 'navigating' the waterways is not the raison d'être for such a vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lower Limit 1909 View Post
    Arranged as a kind of waist height railing around the edge of the roof. A worthy - if ugly and historically incongruent - H&S add on.

I can't help but feel it would rather hinder one of the few advantages that Narrow Boats have in Lock, but I suspect 'navigating' the waterways is not the raison d'être for such a vessel.

Silly old me having just shelled out over £300 pounds for a 2019 EA Thames License I made my way to the Upper Thames for the first time since before Christmas! and what do I find all the old usual suspects moored in every available space along the Town side of the river ! With obviously no intention of moving and knowing full well that the EA won’t take any action to move them along what’s the point of putting notices on the bank stating that the moring is limited to the first 24 hours .
    The people that live on these boats are totally selfish and have absolutely no consideration for any other river users in my opinion the EA and Kingston Council are totally useless I’d love to know what we are paying for in a license fee for certainly not for the use of moorings that are supposedly regulated .

You enter the Thames at Teddington and pay practically nothing for a 1 day visitor pass.
    Thereafter you tie up the EA (once they have found you) for years whilst you enjoy totally free living whilst polluting the river with all your waste products.
    The various councils are not interested because if they become involved, they may be incumbent on finding you alternative onshore accommodation.
    The EA have no resources so safe there.
    Welcome to the Thames. The liveaboard’s haven!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast