Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Two new slum boats

All the time the main effort is to avoid facing the problem head on and pass the buck to the poor bugger and or council next door, not much will change.On shore at least the goverment have got some sort of plan to get to grips with the problem of unauthorised settlements.
    Something similar for waterways and navigations perhaps, but this would mean local authorities being made responsible for actually providing mooring sites !
    Can hear the petition against clipboards being loaded with forms from here.
    Last edited by oldgit; 27-02-19 at 08:26.

Are the EA and the various councils aiding and abetting a criminal act by their obvious refusal to deal with this problem?
    Perhaps some legal eagle could advise on this and maybe we could bring a private prosecution through the ATYC or TMBA.
    I would be more than willing to contribute to costs, having written to EA several years ago and been fobbed off. Also had verbal abuse from unregistered owner.
    Portland Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Billy View Post
    Are the EA and the various councils aiding and abetting a criminal act by their obvious refusal to deal with this problem?
    Perhaps some legal eagle could advise on this and maybe we could bring a private prosecution through the ATYC or TMBA.
    I would be more than willing to contribute to costs, having written to EA several years ago and been fobbed off. Also had verbal abuse from unregistered owner.
    Portland Bill
    Mooring against property owned by others is a civil trespass matter, not criminal. Discharging untreated sewage into the river is a criminal offence but the EA regards the odd turd or ten to be good for the river's ecology and only a very minor matter (quoting the waterways manager at RUG8 in autumn 2015 if memory serves correctly).

I look forward to the EA prosecuting itself for permitting unauthorised pollution.
    When I was in the Navy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    the EA regards the odd turd or ten to be good for the river's ecology
    I believe it’s their recruitment policy too

There must be some positive way that registered boat owners can pressure the EA etc. to act.
    Why are the authorities so bloody useless in enforcing their own regulations!

Try a writ of mandamus

https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreute...mp=pluk&bhcp=1

You could go for crowdfunding
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Portland Bill
    This is a problem which equally raised the ire of folks on terra firma countrywide . Exactly the same issues of trespass and sewage .
    There was some attempt made to solve it it .This did involve local councils providing limited facilities for those wishing to indulge in this lifestyle.
    Did not solve the problem entirely.

Love to hear any suggestions other than..... "Lets get up a (financial) posse and run them out of town" .......Partner
    We are fairly lucky down here because there is a selection of boat yards,both licenced and unofficial which do cater for the undoubted demand.
    Last edited by oldgit; 28-02-19 at 08:06.

The simple answer is to get the responsible authorities to do their job.
    Also pursuade the 'settlers' to abide by the rules. But we've been trying this for years with no result.
    So unless pressure can be brought to bear the situation can only escalate. So come on TMBA and ATYC etc!

The simple answer is to get the responsible authorities to do their job.
    Also pursuade the 'settlers' to abide by the rules. But we've been trying this for years with no result.
    So unless pressure can be brought to bear the situation can only escalate. So come on TMBA and ATYC etc!
    Two gone from Molsey lock this morning?

People will be familiar with the bright orange lifeboats that have become popular liveaboards and airbnb rentals up and down the Thames.

As I write a very slow moning 'flotilla' comprising 2 of the orange lifeboats connected by a floating pontoon - total length 70 - 80 foot or so - is approaching Teddington Lock travelling upstream.

I realise this is not a first as Trotman has long been deploying modular pontoons to connect his floating doss houses to the bank

Now it's got to the point where these permanent liveaboards are adding large pontoons to their infrastructure to group boats together it realy is a new phase of taking the p*ss. The many 'boats' with no means of propulsion is one thing. Illegally moored pontoons is a whole new territory (literally).

If you are Teddington to Moseley right now it should be easy to spot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast