Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Electric winches / cordless drills

as I age I am beginning to find it hard to wind the genoa in, particularly short tacking. several options including giving up sailing but a pal suggested a milwaukee cordless right angle drill as a less expensive alternative to swapping out the lewmar 44s for electic versions. the latter costs a ridiculous £3k.

anybody doing the drill route? if so where do you get the bit to fit in the winch top? and does this approach work?
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Default Re: Electric winches / cordless drills

Was looking into this only yesterday for someone.. Plenty online from the US, located this in Sterling: https://www.harken.co.uk/productdeta...519&taxid=4279

As per: https://thecranker.com/ I quickly concluded the often referenced Milwaukee 28 volt angle drill is (for my mind) a little too budget and not of sufficient quality, plenty of other options out there of course.

Another route to explore: http://www.winchrite.co.uk/
    Last edited by Will_M; 10-01-19 at 09:02.

Perhaps at an intermediate cost level you might consider a winchrite

http://www.winchrite.co.uk/

When the drill is put into reverse to use the second winch speed does it not undo the drill chuck?

I tried my drill with a bit called a cranker from America. It was a failure because it did not have enough torque. I investigated the Milwaukee right angled drill but could not source on in the UK and it is a heavy lump. I saw the Winchrite on a video from Miami boat show and bought one of the first ones in the country. It was one of my best decisions ever. My friends were sceptical at first now they have also bought one . It is a brilliant bit of kit a for sailors of a certain age.

Head up, crank it in, bear away.

Quote Originally Posted by tjbrace View Post
    When the drill is put into reverse to use the second winch speed does it not undo the drill chuck?
    If it did that, what use would the reverse gear be? (I have not needed to use it on my Lidl drill!)

Mike.

There's an article on this subject in the latest ("February") Yachting World.

I looked into this when I had rotator cuff issues with one shoulder. The much touted electric drills do not have low speed torque to do the job. The winchrite has better gearing so will get the job done. But I know of one winchrite user who tells me that it uses up one battery to hoist the main on his big cat.

I am swithering between proper Anderson self tailing electric winches at 14 k US for a pair plus fitting and 7 k US for a pair of Ponos 4 speed grinders.

My venerable and cosmetically scruffy Barient 32 self tailers must be worth something used.

Maybe the 700 US Winchrite is a good deal after all but I wish the battery was instantly replaceable like every cordless drill in the world.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

I use reverse gear on my drill to open the keyless chuck. It could also loosen screws with driver bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    If it did that, what use would the reverse gear be? (I have not needed to use it on my Lidl drill!)

Mike.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast